Healthy Greek Yogurt Mexican Street Corn Salad is a higher protein, creamy side salad made with spices that’s lower in calorie and gluten free! Serve with sliced vegetables or chips for a healthy appetizer. Low Calorie + Gluten Free
If you’re looking for an easy and healthy side dish or appetizer to bring to a summer gathering or to enjoy alongside dinner, this Greek Yogurt Mexican Street Corn is for you!
The recipe is loaded with Mexican flavor with not too much spice and is so simple to make. It only takes 20 minutes to grill and uses ingredients you will love!
What Makes This Greek Yogurt Mexican Street Corn Salad Healthy
This Mexican street corn with yogurt is SO delicious. It will rock your socks off! Not only is it low calorie and gluten free, but I also love it for many other reasons!
- Easy – This recipe takes 20 minutes to grill. Simply season the corn, grill, remove the kernels and mix with the other ingredients.
- Light & Refreshing – This recipe is perfect for summer. It’s light, refreshing while being filling!
- Higher Protein – Using Greek yogurt balances the recipe better by including protein which many appetizers and sides tend to be deficient in.
- Low Calorie – 1/6 of the recipe is just 95 calories. Remember low calories isn’t always better. The macronutrient (protein, fat and carb) balance is what’s important and this recipe has a good balance.
- Great Source of Carbohydrates – Corn is a great source of starchy carbohydrates with minerals and vitamins. I find my clients tend to stay away from these things then snack on foods that are deficient in nutrients which leaving them hungrier and eating MORE calories overall.
- Gluten Free – The recipe is gluten free. If you need dairy free options, see the substitutions section at the bottom of this blog post for recommendations.
- Customizable – Don’t like Mexican flavors? You can easily swap the spices and ingredients to make it to your liking!
Ingredients for Healthy Greek Yogurt Mexican Street Corn Salad
The substitutions section at the bottom of this blog post talks about substitutes you can make with this recipe.
- Ears of Corn, cleaned and shucked
- Avocado Oil
- Cumin, Chili Powder
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Red Onion
- Greek Yogurt
- Hot Sauce
- Cotija Cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Lime Juice
How To Make Low Caloire Mexican Street Corn with Greek Yogurt
Here’s the steps to make grilled Mexican street corn healthy with Greek yogurt. It’s actually quite simple and this will be one of your favorite summer meals!
Step One – Preheat the grill. Prepare the ears of corn with the seasoning mixture as described in the full recipe card at the end of this post. Rub each ear with the seasoning mixture.
Step Two – Wrap each ear of corn with foil. Grill 20 minutes, flipping slightly every 5 minutes.
Step Three – Once the corn is finished grilling, remove each ear from the foil wrap and cool 5-10 minutes. Once the corn is cool enough to handle, remove the kernels from the cob and add to a bowl.
Step Four – Next prepare the sauce for the Greek yogurt corn salad by combing the sauce ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
Step Five – Add the corn, tomatoes, onion and cilantro to the bowl and toss to combine. Serve warm with your favorite sliced vegetables or chips!
Can You Make Street Corn Salad Without A Grill
If you’re wondering if you need a grill to make Mexican street corn salad, the answer is no. You can use an indoor one like this one, or you can do it on the stovetop. The stovetop instructions are in the recipe card below!
Can You Use Frozen Corn to Make Street Corn Salad
You may be wondering if you can use frozen corn to make street corn salad. The answer is yes, but the flavor will be slightly different and in my opinion, it is more delicious grilled.
However, you could use frozen corn to make this Greek Yogurt Street Corn Salad recipe. I recommend thawing the frozen corn first then warming it in a skillet for 4-5 minutes as this salad is served warm.
Can You Serve Street Corn Salad Cold
Yes, you can serve Mexican street corn salad cold. I personally think it’s more delicious and satisfying served as a warm salad, but it certainly could be served cold too.
Substitutions For Greek Yogurt Street Corn Salad
This salad is pretty versatile and there’s many ways you could customize it. Here’s a few ingredient substitutions you could make. Remember when you substitute ingredients it does change the nutritional values from what you see in the recipe card below.
- Corn – You can use fresh corn for this recipe or frozen. I do not recommend using canned corn.
- Greek Yogurt – You can substitute with cottage cheese or a dairy free yogurt.
- Avocado Oil – Because this recipe is made at a high temperature, you want an oil like avocado oil or coconut oil that cooks properly at a high temperature.
- Cotija Cheese – You can omit the cheese, use a dairy free alternative, or swap for feta cheese.
- Red Onion – You can use white onion or skip the red onion.
- Lime Juice – You can substitute lemon juice for the lime juice.
- Cilantro – You can omit the cilantro and replace with fresh parsley or dried parsley. If using dried parsley, I recommend using a tablespoon not a 1/2 cup.
- Tomatoes – You can use cherry, grape or even freshly diced tomatoes.
- Dairy Free – Substitute the Greek yogurt with dairy free yogurt and the cheese with a diary free alternative or omit the cheese.
Healthy Greek Yogurt Mexican Street Corn
Healthy Greek Yogurt Mexican Street Corn Salad is a higher protein, creamy side salad made with spices that's lower in calorie and gluten free! Serve with sliced vegetables or chips for a healthy appetizer.
For the Corn
Preheat the grill to 400 F. Prepare the corn by rubbing with the avocado oil. Mix together the cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl then rub each ear of corn with the mixture.
Wrap each corn ear in a foil pack then grill 20 minutes, flipping slightly every 5 minutes.
When the corn is finished cooking, remove from the grill. Carefully, unwrap each foil pack and cool for 5 minutes. Once the corn is cool enough to handle, use a knife to cut the kernels from the cob into a bowl.
Prepare the Greek yogurt sauce for the corn by mixing the ingredients for the sauce together in a medium bowl.
Add the corn, tomatoes, onion and cilantro to the bowl and toss to combine. Serve warm with your favorite sliced vegetables or chips!
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil to the pan then mix together the cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Rub each ear of corn with the mixture.
Cook the corn 15 minutes or until the corn begins to brown, turning every 5 minutes.
Remove from the heat and cool the corn for 5 minutes. Once the corn is cool enough to handle, use a knife to cut the kernels from the cob into a bowl. Follow steps 4 and 5 as above.
- Each serving is 1/6 of the recipe or approximately 2/3 cup. It may vary depending on the size of your corn ears.
- See the substitutions section of this blog post for recommendations on ingredient substitutions.
- My Amazon shop has more products similar to those used for this recipe and that I recommend to my weight loss clients.
Love my recipes?
Check out my cookbook!