These Low Calorie Cookie Bars made with chocolate chips are delicious! Made with simple baking ingredients, they are only 100 calories per bar and easy to make! Low Calorie + Gluten Free Recommendations
If you love chocolate chip cookies, you will absolutely love these lighter cookie bars!
I’ve taken the traditional chocolate chip cookie bar recipe and lightened it up simply by reducing the added sugar and adding more protein and healthy fat with eggs.
They are made with simple baking ingredients that are easy to find and the best part is they are EASY and only 100 calories per bar.
These cookie bars are seriously so yummy. I cannot wait for you to try them!
What Makes These Low Calorie Cookie Bars Better?
- Low Calorie – Each bar is only 100 calories. While I believe there is a time and place for eating regular desserts, I also believe when a small tweak to a recipe like reducing the sugar (as I did with this recipe) makes it slightly healthier and lower in calories, why not? Often, small tweaks like I’m showing you with this recipe are all that is needed to make a recipe slightly better and healthier.
- Lower Sugar – I simply reduced the added sugar in this recipe to make is slightly better. There are only 19 carbs per bar which is low for a dessert recipe.
- Simple Ingredients – Most of these ingredients are pantry staples that you probably have on hand.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar Recipe Ingredients
To make these healthy cookie bars you will need the following ingredients. Please see the detailed recipe card at the bottom of this post for measurements and nutritional data.
You will also need a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish along with mixing bowls and a mixer.
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Butter, unsalted
- Light Brown Sugar
- Maple Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
- Mini Chocolate Chips
Read the substitutions section at the bottom of this blog post for recommendations on substituting specific ingredients and making this recipe gluten free!
How To Make Cookie Bars Low Calorie
Step One – Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare a baking dish with parchment paper or with cooking spray.
Step Two – Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
Step Three – Cream the butter and sugar together using a hand mixer or standing mixer.
Step Four – Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract to combine until fluffy.
Step Five – Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture to combine.
Step Six – Fold the mini chocolate chips in by hand reserving some for the top. Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish.
Step Seven – Bake the bars 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Step Eight – Remove the bars from the oven and cool completely before enjoying.
How To Serve Chocolate Cookie Bars
These healthy chocolate cookie bars are delicious on their own, however, you can add sprinkle them with a touch sea salt when they come out of the oven for a touch of something special. They can also be served with:
How To Store Healthy Cookie Bars
Storing – Store your healthy chocolate cookie bars in an airtight container up to 5 days. For optimal freshness, store in the refrigerator.
Freezing – Slice the bars and place them spaced out on a baking sheet and freeze 30-60 minutes. Once they are frozen individually, you can place them together in a plastic storage bag. You can freeze chocolate cookie bars up to 3 months.
Reheating – You can reheat the bars from frozen in the microwave or in a toaster oven or let them thaw to room temperature before eating.
Low Calorie Chocolate Cookie Bar Frequently Asked Questions
Are chocolate chip cookie bars gluten free?
Chocolate chip cookie bars can easily be made gluten free by substituting with gluten free baking flour.
How long do chocolate chip cookie bars last?
Chocolate chip cookie bars last 3-5 days in an airtight container or in the refrigerator up to one week.
Are homemade cookie bars healthier than store bought?
Homemade cookie bars are healthier than store bought for many reasons. Most store bought cookie bars are made with more sugar than what is necessary to make the bars delicious and they contain preservatives to keep them shelf stable.
How many calories do chocolate chip cookie bars have?
This chocolate chip cookie bar recipe has 100 calories per bar.
Substitutions For Low Calorie Cookie Bars
Here are the substitutions I recommend for these healthy chocolate chip cookie bars. Remember when you substitute ingredients that this will change the nutritional value of the recipe from what you see in the recipe card below.
- All Purpose Flour – This recipe is very versatile with the flour! Gluten Free Baking Flour, Oat Flour, Gluten Free Oat Flour, Whole Wheat Flour can be used. Almond flour and coconut flour would not work and would require a completely new recipe.
- Butter – I recommend not substituting the butter if you can help it. Butter is the ingredient that makes the cream in the wet ingredients. If I were to substitute, I would try ghee or coconut oil. The results will likely not be as good with the substitutes though. Just warning you!
- Light Brown Sugar – Coconut sugar may be substituted or regular brown sugar.
- Maple Syrup – You can use honey, a lower calorie maple syrup or a monk fruit sweetened maple syrup.
- Mini Chocolate Chips – You can use regular chocolate chips or dairy-free chocolate chips if you like.
- Dairy Free – For diary free, use coconut oil for the butter and dairy free chocolate chips.
More Healthy Low Calorie Dessert Recipes
- Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Blondes
- Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondes
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Healthy Chocolate Protein Bars
- Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Healthy Banana Bread
Low Calorie Cookie Bars
These Low Calorie Cookie Bars made with chocolate chips are delicious! Made with simple baking ingredients, they are only 100 calories per bar and easy to make!
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish with parchment paper or lightly spray with cooking spray.
To a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix to combine.
Mix the butter and brown sugar in a separate bowl until creams using a hand mixer or a standing mixer.
Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract and combine. Then add the eggs to the mixture mixing until fully incorporated.
Slowly add the dry flour mixture to the wet mixture to combine.
Fold the chocolate chips into the batter by hand reserving 2 tablespoons for on top. Transfer the batter to the prepare baking dish then top with the reserved chocolate chips.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick can be inserted in the center clean.
Remove the bars from the oven and cool in the pan 25 minutes before slicing and enjoying.
Love my recipes?
Check out my cookbook!