Healthy Taco Pasta is a low calorie dinner made with chickpea pasta, chicken, vegetables and salsa. High in protein and fiber, this family approved meal is healthy and easy to make! Gluten Free + Low Calorie
This easy taco pasta recipe combines the best of two food worlds - Mexican and Italian. If you love pasta and you also love Mexican flavors, this recipe is definitely for you!
It's such a goodie and one you'll want to make on repeat. I know your family will love it! Also, if you haven't made my healthier hamburger helper recipe yet from my cookbook you need to make that one too!
Healthy Taco Pasta
This low calorie pasta recipe uses chickpea pasta as a healthier, higher protein and gluten free pasta alternative to white or whole wheat pasta. I always recommend using plant based pastas wherever possible. It's a simple weight loss swap!
Ground chicken, bell pepper, zucchini, salsa and spices combine with the pasta for a delicious and filling meal.
It comes together in less than 30 minutes and easy to customize with whatever veggies, protein, salsa and spices you have on hand.
What You Need
- Ground Chicken or ground turkey or ground beef
- Chickpea Rotini or pasta of choice
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Red Bell Pepper
- Cumin, Chili Powder, Paprika, Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper
How To Make Taco Pasta
Start by heating a large skillet over medium heat and adding the extra virgin olive oil, red bell pepper and zucchini.
Cook the ingredients for 4 minutes until slightly tender then add the ground chicken breast. Using a spatula, break up the chicken breast as it cooks 7-8 minutes.
While the chicken cooks, bring a pot of water to a boil and add the pasta. Cook until al dente then drain and set the pasta aside.
Next add the seasonings, salsa and pasta to the skillet with the chicken and veggies and stir together.
Cook another 5-7 minutes until the pasta absorbs the liquid from the salsa.
I recommend using a chunky salsa for this recipe as it will stick to the pasta and prevent it from being runny. Serve immediately and enjoy!
This recipe is easy to make substitutions with.
Feel free to swap out the chicken for ground turkey or ground beef, add different veggies, more or less salsa and to adjust the heat from the spices as you wish.
It's highly adaptable and will still turn out just as good!
More Health Pasta Recipes
- Cottage Cheese Mac n Cheese
- Healthy Monterrey Chicken Pasta
- Cottage Cheese Alfredo
- Healthy Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet
Healthy Taco Pasta
- 1 lb ground chicken breast or ground turkey or ground beef
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 oz chickpea pasta rotini
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup zucchini sliced
- 1 cup salsa sugar free
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the extra virgin olive oil, red bell pepper and zucchini. Cook 4 minutes until tender then add the ground chicken breast. Break up the chicken breast with a spatula as it cooks 7-8 minutes.
- While the chicken cooks, cook the pasta according to package instructions. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
- Add the seasonings, salsa and pasta to the skillet with the chicken and veggies. Stir to combine and cook together another 5-7 minutes until the pasta absorbs the salsa. Serve immediately.
- Store in the refrigerator up to 5 days.