Healthy French Onion Dip made with Greek yogurt is a high protein appetizer that's better balanced in nutrition and incredibly delicious! Gluten Free + Low Calorie
Is there anything better than a creamy French Onion dip bursting with sweet, caramelized onions and chives on top? I don't think so!
French Onion Dip gets a bad wrap for being high in fat and calories, but I'm about to change that for you with this recipe.
Don't worry though. It still tastes incredibly delicious but is a bit lighter than the original recipe.
Is French Onion Dip Healthy?
French Onion Dip is usually made with sour cream or a combination of sour cream and cream cheese making it higher fat and higher calorie.
This Low Calorie French Onion Dip is made with fewer calories and more protein by using Greek yogurt instead and your tastebuds won't notice the difference. It's low fat, lower in calories and high in protein!
What Makes This French Onion Dip Healthy?
- Easy To Make -This healthy appetizer is super simple to throw together. Just sauté the onions after slicing then stir everything together in a bowl to serve!
- Lower Fat - French Onion Dip is usually made with sour cream or a combination of sour cream and cream cheese making it higher in fat and calories. I swapped this for Greek yogurt (one of my favorite tricks!) to make it lower in fat.
- Lower Calorie - Swapping the base of this recipe with yogurt brings the calories down, but most importantly increases the protein which is so commonly something my clients are deficient in.
- Higher Protein - Greek yogurt makes this creamy and rich, with less fat and calories and a whole lot more of protein!
- Simple Ingredients - This recipe uses simple everyday ingredients that are healthy.
Ingredients for Healthy French Onion Dip with Yogurt
Making French Onion Dip is ridiculously easy and you only need 7 ingredients!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- White Onion
- Greek Yogurt
- Worcestershire Sauce, gluten free
- Dried Thyme
- Salt, Pepper
How To Make A Healthy French Onion Dip
Step One - Saute the onions with the oil in a pan cooking until the onions are caramelized to a deep brown color.
Step Two - Add the garlic to the pan and cook a few minutes then transfer the mixture to a bowl and refrigerate.
Step Three - Add the remaining ingredients to a mixing bowl reserving a few tablespoons of the onion mixture for the top.
Step Four - Top with chives and serve!
How To Store French Onion Dip
- Storing - This healthy dip recipe will stay good in the refrigerator up to 4 days in a storage container.
- Freezing - I do not recommend freezing this dip.
How To Serve French Onion Dip
The following all make great options for dipping into French Onion Dip!
- Produce like carrots, celery, broccoli, cucumber, cauliflower, peppers or tomatoes
- Tortilla Chips, Potato Chips or Veggie Dipper Chips
- Pretzels or Bagel Chips
Substitutions For This Skinny French Onion Dip
This French Onion Dip is easy to customize to your liking. Here's a few tips for variations. Remember when you swap or replace ingredients, it does alter the nutritional values from what you see in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Greek Yogurt - You can use any Greek yogurt for this recipe - full fat, nonfat or low fat. Cottage cheese can alternatively be blended in a blender or food processor to replace the yogurt. For a dairy free yogurt, I recommend Kite Hill as it is higher in protein than other dairy free brands and tastes great.
- Worcestershire Sauce - If you do not need to be gluten free, you can do regular Worcestershire sauce. You can also make your own sauce by combining one tablespoon ketchup plus one tablespoon with white vinegar plus half tablespoon soy sauce and a dash of hot sauce.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - You can substitute with any oil or use cooking spray for cooking the onions.
- Chives - You can substitute with scallions or omit if you like.
- Thyme - Dried parsley would be a wonderful substitute.
More Healthy Appetizer Recipes
- Healthy Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Healthy Bean Dip
- Healthy Taco Dip
- Crockpot BBQ Chicken Wings
- Airfryer Everything Bagel Chicken Wings
Healthy French Onion Dip
- Add the extra virgin olive oil to a sauté pan. Add the onions and stir every 2-3 minutes for about 15 minutes, or until the onions are caramelized to a deep golden brown color.
- Add the garlic to the pan and saute a few minutes until fragrant. Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to cool the mixture.
- Remove the onion mixture from the refrigerator then mix together the ingredients in a mixing bowl reserving a few tablespoons of the onion mixture for the top along with a half tablespoon of the chives.
- Top with reserved chives and onion mixture then serve!
- Keep this French onion dip in a container in the refrigerator up to 4 days.