Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip made low calorie, higher in protein and balanced in nutrition. This delicious appetizer is a crowd favorite! Gluten Free + Low Calorie
This Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip is a spin off of my spinach artichoke dip recipe and Crockpot Buffalo Chicken recipe. Buffalo chicken dip is traditionally a high in fat appetizer that's high in calories and made with a lot of cheese, sour cream or cream cheese.
This recipe reduces the fat and calories in buffalo chicken dip to 115 calories per serving by using Greek yogurt and cottage cheese. The same method I used for the spinach artichoke dip and crockpot buffalo chicken. But not to worry - it's just as delicious as the real deal. Just lower in fat and lower in calories!
What Makes Buffalo Chicken Dip With Cottage Cheese Healthier
Cottage cheese is one of my sneaky ways to make recipes healthier. I sneak it into eggs, pasta sauce, enchiladas and more! It's a simple way to make recipes better for you and it reduces the calories and increase the protein.
This buffalo chicken dip is made with cottage cheese and Greek yogurt because the two together make for the BEST dip recipe with just the right texture.
Here's a few more nutritional reasons why I love this buffalo chicken dip with Greek yogurt and cottage cheese recipe!
- Low Calorie - Buffalo chicken dip is 117 calories per serving. Each serving is about 1/3 of a cup. You could definitely enjoy more than a serving of this dip since the calories are very low. Remember calories are not everything. The QUALITY of the calories always matters most!
- Gluten Free - All ingredients are gluten free in this recipe.
- Higher Protein - Buffalo chicken dip has 18 grams of protein which awesome for an appetizer. Higher protein is always important for blood sugar stability and to increase satiety. You could definitely enjoy buffalo chicken dip as a meal given the amount of protein.
- Lower Fat - Fat is definitely important for hormones and weight loss, however, it is very easy to over consume fat and the quality of fat in your diet matters greatly. Cheese does not have the same quality of fat as do omega-3 rich nuts, seeds and fish which is why this recipe is mindful of how much is used. Low fat diets are not generally what I recommend to women over 35 but again, the quality of fat is most important.
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip Ingredients
Here's what you need to make buffalo chicken dip with cottage cheese and Greek yogurt! You will also need a mixing bowl and an 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish. See the section below for how to make in an Instant Pot or slow cooker.
- Shredded Chicken (I make mine in the Instant Pot - it's super simple!)
- Greek Yogurt
- Cottage Cheese
- Buffalo Hot Sauce
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Green Onions for Garnish
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the blog post for the ingredients measurements, full instructions, nutritional data and to print this recipe.
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Dip With Greek Yogurt
To make buffalo chicken dip with Green yogurt in the oven start by preheating the oven to 350 F. In a large mixing bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, shredded chicken, garlic powder, onion powder and hot sauce.
Next pour the mixture into an 8-inch by 8-inch oven safe baking dish. Top with cheese and bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle the green onions on top before serving. Serve the dish warm!
How To Make Shredded Chicken
The easiest way to make shredded chicken is in the Instant Pot. I use this method several times a month for meal prep. The Instant Pot is faster and the shredded chicken tastes better I think than cooking it in a slow cooker.
You can make shredded chicken in a slow cooker by cooking it on low 8 hours or higher 4 hours with some broth in the slow cooker. Then shredding it after it has cooked.
Alternatively, you can purchase shredded chicken at most grocery stores already made for you. Rotisserie chicken is a great option as well as canned chicken in water. You will need 32 ounces of canned chicken to make buffalo chicken dip.
How To Make Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip In A Slow Cooker
If you're wondering if you can make buffalo chicken dip in a slow cooker, the answer is yes! The steps are similar to my crockpot buffalo chicken recipe.
To start, add all the ingredients to a crockpot except the cheese and green onions. Cook on high 4 hours or 8 hours on low then using two forks shred the chicken. The chicken should shred apart easily.
Add the cheese, cover and cook until the cheese is melted then sprinkle the sliced green onions on top and serve!
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip In The Instant Pot
Here's how to make buffalo chicken dip in the Instant Pot. Start by adding the chicken breasts to the pot with the buffalo sauce, garlic powder and onion powder.
Cover the pot, set the pot to sealing and pressure cook for to 14 minutes. The pot will take a few minutes to come to pressure. Allow the pressure to release by setting the valve to venting. Shred the chicken with two forks or with a hand mixer.
Stir the Greek yogurt and cottage cheese in with the chicken. Transfer the ingredients to an 8-inch by 8-inch oven safe baking dish. Add the cheese on top then bake for 15 minutes at 350 F.
How To Serve Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip
You can serve this healthier buffalo chicken dip with sliced veggies like bell peppers, cucumber, zucchini, celery, carrots or chips and crackers. You can also make buffalo chicken dip into a meal by adding it to a slice of toast, in a wrap or on top of a salad.
It's also great on top of a baked potato or potato toast. You could even use it as a pizza topping with a tortilla or flatbread as the base. This healthier buffalo chicken dip would also be amazing combined with plant-based pasta!
Here's the substitutions you can make for this low carb buffalo chicken dip recipe. Please remember if you make substitutions that it may change the texture and flavor, and it will change the nutritional values from what you see in the recipe card below.
- Greek Yogurt - Sour cream could be substituted for Greek yogurt.
- Cottage Cheese - Ricotta cheese or cream cheese can be subbed.
- Dairy Free - If you cannot do Greek yogurt, then a dairy free yogurt substitute could be used or almond milk yogurt. For the cottage cheese, you can do a lactose free cottage cheese or a dairy free cream cheese.
- Buffalo Sauce - This is not a buffalo chicken dip without the hot sauce, but if you are looking for an alternative I recommend trying Sriracha, harissa or chili-garlic sauce.
- Cheddar Cheese - You can substitute blue cheese, non-fat, low fat, full fat or dairy free cheese. See my comments above regarding fat and cheese.
More Healthy Appetizer Recipes
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, shredded chicken, garlic powder, onion powder and hot sauce. Mix to combine.
- Pour the mixture into an 8-inch by 8-inch baking pan then top with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Garnish with diced green onions and optionally drizzle with ranch and hot sauce.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Add all the ingredients to a crockpot except the cheese and green onions. Cook on high 4 hours or 8 hours on low then using two forks shred the chicken. The chicken should shred apart easily.
- Add the cheese, cover and cook until the cheese is melted then sprinkle the sliced green onions on top and serve!
Instant Pot Instructions
- Start by adding the chicken breasts to the pot with the buffalo sauce, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Cover the pot, set the pot to sealing and pressure cook for to 14 minutes. The pot will take a few minutes to come to pressure. Allow the pressure to release by setting the valve to venting. Shred the chicken with two forks or with a hand mixer.
- Stir the Greek yogurt and cottage cheese in with the chicken. Transfer the ingredients to an 8-inch by 8-inch oven safe baking dish. Add the cheese on top then bake for 15 minutes at 350 F.
- Each serving is about 1/3 cup.