This Crockpot Chicken Shawarma is a hearty meal packed with Mediterranean flavors. A quick slow cooker recipe, just dump and go. High protein and feeds plenty. Gluten Free + Low Calorie
So I get a lot of questions here on the blog and social media. Here’s a few examples. “When should I drink apple cider vinegar, before or after I workout?” I answered this in this post. Apparently people take their apple cider vinegar seriously!
Then there was someone last week on Facebook group asking how a recipe with flour in it is gluten free? I responded the words “gluten free” before the word flour meant it is gluten free flour.
Then there was someone who asked what tahini was and where they could buy it. I answered the question in my email newsletter a few weeks ago because tahini is in many of my recipes including this Crockpot Chicken Shawarma.
Make sure you’re subscribed to get the skinny on the latest recipes and nutrition tips!
For those who don’t know what tahini is, here’s the skinny. Tahini is ground sesame. Same as when you grind peanuts to get peanut butter, only this is with sesame seeds. It has a similar consistency to nut butter with a more pungent flavor.
It’s not something you would dive your spoon into and eat alone, but it does make the most delicious marinades and dips! You buy tahini at the grocery store. Even Walmart carries it. It’s usually in the peanut butter aisle.
All these questions made me realize how far I’ve come with my own healthy eating. A few years ago, I would not have known what tahini is or thought about drinking apple cider vinegar. I knew what gluten free was, but didn’t know how important it would become for managing my Hashimoto’s disease.
Now for the STAR of the show… Crockpot Chicken Shawarma! Oh how I love Mediterranean food. I swear I could eat it everyday.
There use to be this Greek restaurant near my house that had the best chicken shawarma. Sadly, it closed down which forced me to make my own.
Creamy, warm spices bouncing off the tangy flavor of tahini, it’s really a wonderful way to make boring chicken fabulous.
Even better, it’s made EASY in the crockpot for a no brainer meal. Perfect for meal prepping or feeding a crowd!
Crockpot Chicken Shawarma
- 1.25 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chicken broth low sodium
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
Place the chicken thighs in a crockpot with extra virgin olive oil, lemon, salt, pepper, chicken broth, tahini, Greek yogurt, minced garlic, cumin, curry powder, garlic powder, paprika, cinnamon and coriander.
- Cook on high 3 hours (or low 6 hours). Check to see if chicken is ready. It is ready when it easily falls apart when you break it up with a spatula or spoon.
Serve with brown rice, roasted zucchini slices and Greek yogurt as desired. Top with dried parsley.
- Nutritional data does not include brown rice or zucchini.
- For a Paleo option, serve with cauliflower rice and swap the Greek yogurt for coconut yogurt.
- Serving size is approximately 1 large cup.
- My Amazon shop has more products similar to those used for this recipe and that I recommend to my weight loss clients.
- If you love this recipe, check out my low calorie cookbook for more delicious recipes and weight loss tips!
Get a meal plan designed to meet your weight loss goals.