Healthy Greek Chicken Casserole is a low calorie, Mediterranean meal paired with vegetables and cauliflower rice. A gluten free recipe with Greek flavors that tastes amazing! Gluten Free + Low Calorie + Low Carb + Paleo friendly
Greek meals are my favorite when it comes to healthy, low calorie dinners. Mediterranean cooking in general is something that never gets old for me. The flavors are satisfying, fresh and of course, delicious!
This Greek Chicken Casserole is irresistibly juicy and one of my all-time favorite recipes on this website along with my Greek Meal Prep Chicken. Easy to make in one pan for a healthy meal any time of the week!
Healthy Greek Chicken Casserole
You will LOVE this healthy Greek chicken recipe because it's tasty, requires minimal prep, it's only one dish, easy to prep ahead of time and versatile! It's also healthy and made with so many good-for-you ingredients. Here's a few more reasons why it's better for you.
- Low Calorie - The recipe is 313 calories per serving. That does not include the optional items.
- Carb Conscious - Something I talk about in my free weight loss class and in my podcast is the importance of being conscious of carbohydrates for women over 35. There are many types of carbohydrates, but some of the best ones for weight loss and hormonal health are vegetables which this recipe has a lot of!
- High Protein - Each serving is 21 grams of protein. Protein is very important for killing cravings and stabilizing hunger. This is very important for hormones and weight loss.
- High Fiber - 5 grams of fiber per serving is amazing! Fiber is one of the key foods I share the science of in my free weight loss class that is important for hormones and weight loss.
- Healthy Fat - 18 grams of total fat in this recipe. 2 grams are from saturated fat (less optimal) and the rest is from healthy fat like polyunsaturated and monounsaturated which our bodies love!
- Gluten Free - This recipe is naturally gluten free.
- Dairy Free - If you omit the feta cheese, the recipe is dairy free.
Ingredients For Baked Greek Chicken
Here's what you need to make this delicious baked Greek chicken recipe! You will also need a mixing bowl and a casserole dish.
- Chicken Breast (I get my pasture-raised chicken from Butcherbox)
- Roasted Red Bell Peppers
- Artichoke Hearts
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Black Olives
- Olive Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Lemon Juice
- Dried Oregano
- Onion Powder
- Dried Basil
- Cauliflower Rice, Feta & Parsley (optional for serving)
How To Make Greek Chicken In The Oven
Here's the steps to make Greek Chicken. It's super simple!
Step One - Prepare the Greek chicken marinade by mixing the ingredients for the marinade together in a large bowl. Add the chicken and set aside. See below for meal prep, making ahead of time and freezing!
Step Two - Drain and chop the vegetables then add to the bottom of a casserole dish lightly greased with extra virgin olive oil. Place the chicken with the marinade. Make sure the chicken is spread out in an even layer.
Step Three - Cover the casserole dish with tinfoil and bake at 400 F for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken is at 165 F.
How Long Will Greek Chicken Last In The Refrigerator?
This cooked Greek chicken meal will last up to 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
How To Reheat Greek Chicken
You can reheat leftovers in the microwave or oven. To reheat in a microwave, slice the chicken breast then warm for 60 seconds with the vegetables or until warm. To reheat in the oven, cover the chicken and vegetables with foil for 10 minutes at 350 F.
Can You Make Greek Chicken Ahead Of Time?
This Healthy Greek Chicken recipe is great for making ahead of time and baking when ready to eat. To make ahead, follow the instructions for the recipe up to the point of baking. Cover the casserole dish with foil and refrigerate up to 8 hours. Before baking, remove the casserole dish from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes then bake as directed. If you plan to go longer than 8 hours, I recommend not adding the marinade to your prep until within 8 hours of baking. If the marinade is longer than 8 hours, the vinegar will affect the texture of the chicken.
Can I Freeze Greek Chicken?
This Greek Chicken recipe is freezer friendly. You can freeze the chicken with the marinade or you can freeze the pre-made casserole. To freeze the chicken and marinade, add the chicken and marinade to plastic storage bag and freeze up to 60 days. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before prepping with the vegetables and baking.
To freeze the pre-made casserole, follow the instructions for the recipe up to the point of baking then freeze up to 60 days in an airtight container. Thaw the ingredients overnight in the refrigerator then bake according to the recipe instructions.
What To Serve With Greek Chicken Casserole
I served my Greek chicken meal with cauliflower rice, but you could serve yours with half cauliflower rice and regular cooked rice, just cooked rice (any will work fine!), quinoa, chickpea rice, roasted potatoes, Tzatziki, Greek yogurt or pasta salad.
This Greek Baked Chicken would also be delicious served on a bed of greens as a big dinner salad. This recipe is really versatile and you cannot go wrong with whatever you choose to serve with your Greek chicken!
Substitutions For Greek Chicken
Here are the substitutions you can make for this healthy Mediterranean Chicken recipe with Greek flavors! As always, remember that when you make substitutions it changes the nutrition information and will be different than what you see in the full recipe below!
- Chicken Breast - Pork tenderloin, turkey breast, cod, haddock, shrimp, salmon be substituted for the chicken. Chicken thighs can be used (bone-in or boneless). I recommend searing the chicken thighs for 3-4 minutes on each side in a skillet prior to baking.
- Roasted Red Bell Peppers - Red Bell Peppers, zucchini or eggplant can be substituted (or added!). You can omit the roasted bell peppers too.
- Artichoke Hearts - Fresh, frozen or marinated artichoke hearts can be used in this recipe. Asparagus, cordone, kohlrabi or heart of palm can be used instead.
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes - 4-5 plum tomatoes or one can of tomatoes with liquid drained can be substituted.
- Black Olives - Capers, mushrooms or pickled carrots is what I recommend as substitutes.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Avocado oil can be substituted.
- Spices - You can use fresh or dried spices. The spices can be omitted as you like, but to ensure you get the BEST Greek Chicken I highly recommend you use them all!
Healthy Greek Chicken Casserole
- 12 oz chicken breasts 3 chicken breasts, 4 oz. each
- 12 oz roasted red bell peppers drained, roughly chopped
- 12 oz can artichoke hearts drained, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons black olives drained, pitted, sliced
- Optional Cauliflower rice, feta, fresh parsley for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Mix together the ingredients for the marinade in a large mixing bowl. Add the chicken and evenly coat. Marinade the chicken while you prepare the ingredients for the bake. You can refrigerate the marinade up to 8 hours. If you do refrigerate it, let the chicken and marinade sit at room temperture 30 minutes prior to baking.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish. Add the roasted bell peppers, artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes and olives on the bottom in an even layer. Top with the marinated chicken.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake at 400 F for 35-40 minutes. The chicken should be cooked to 165 F. The time may vary depending on the thickness of your chicken and your oven.
- Serve immediately with optional toppings such as chopped fresh parsley, feta and cauliflower rice.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator up to 5 days in an airtight container. You can also freeze the recipe for a make ahead meal by preparing up to the point of baking then then placing in an airtight container up to 60 days. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, place at room temperature 30 minutes prior to baking then bake according to the directions. For making ahead of time, see the blog post.