Healthy Greek Lemon Chicken Soup is bursting with delicious flavor. A cozy, low calorie, Paleo and gluten free meal for any time of year! Low Calorie + Paleo + Gluten Free
I love a good soup recipe! It easy to pack nutrients like protein and veggies in a soup and I find it's easier to get that high quality nutrition during the winter.
Some of my favorite soup recipes are chicken pot pie soup, Zuppa Toscana, turkey kale enchilada are classics I make time and again during the winter. And now this Greek Lemon Chicken Soup is getting added to that list too!
Healthy Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
It's a healthy chicken soup recipe bursting with citrus flavor and the herbs balance it out perfectly. Not to mention it has a vibrant, yellow color that just screws to bounce in your mouth!
It's gluten free, dairy free, Paleo and low calorie. More importantly, the recipe is BALANCED. Here's the details.
- High Protein - This soup recipe has 35 grams of protein per serving which is considered the recommended amount of protein for most individuals per meal.
- Higher Fiber - Each serving has 4 grams of fiber. I talk about the importance of fiber in this free weight loss class. So many of my clients are deficient in fiber!
- Gluten Free - All ingredients are gluten free.
- Dairy Free - There is no dairy in this recipe.
- Low Calorie - Each serving (1/4 of the recipe) is 377 calories which is considered low calorie, but the amount of food is large as the recipe uses whole food ingredients.
Ingredients To Make Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
- Shredded Chicken (pre-cooked)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Yellow Onion
- Cauliflower Rice
- Chicken Broth
- Egg Yolks
- Lemon Juice
- Dried Parsley, Salt, Pepper
How To Make Greek Style Chicken Soup
Making this healthy chicken soup Greek style is easy. The best part is it will make your kitchen smell yummy and delicious!
Step one is heating the olive oil in the large pot over medium heat. Then you will add the onion, carrots and cauliflower rice. Stir and heat until the veggies are translucent.
Step two add the chicken broth and parsley. Stir and heat for 10 minutes. While the broth is warming, mix the egg yolks in a bowl with a small amount of the chicken broth from the pot. Whisk together until the yolks are mixed in.
Step three add the egg yolk mixture to the pot along with the pre-cooked shredded chicken, kale, lemon, dried parsley, salt and pepper. Simmer for 10-minutes or until warm and the kale is wilted. Serve warm with lemon slices and parsley!
How To Make Pre-Cooked Shredded Chicken
This healthy chicken soup recipe uses pre-cooked shredded chicken. There's many options you can use for this. One is pre-cooking the chicken in an Instant Pot or slow cooker. I make shredded chicken in my Instant Pot all the time. It's easy and fast! You can alternatively use a slow cooker. Just note it will take 4-6 hours in a slow cooker vs. 30-minutes in an Instant Pot.
What If I Don't Want To Make Shredded Chicken
Don't want to make shredded chicken yourself? Good news! You can purchase pre-cooked shredded chicken at almost every grocery store these days. Look in the meat section or in the pre-packaged food section. A rotisserie chicken is another alternative too!
How To Store Lemon Chicken Soup
This Lemon Chicken Soup recipe can be stored in a container in the refrigerator up to 5 days. You can also freeze this soup recipe up to 60 days.
Substitutions For Greek Lemon Chicken
Here are the substitutions I recommend for this recipe. Remember that when you substitute an ingredient in the recipe, it will change the nutrition data from what you see in the recipe card below!
- Shredded Chicken - You can substitute any protein you like or omit.
- Vegetarian - Substitute beans or lentils. If you use dry, you will have to cook the soup longer for them.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Avocado oil or ghee can be substituted.
- Veggies - Feel free to add or swap veggies.
- Kale - Any green can be substitute. Swiss chard, spinach, collard greens, cabbage be great and stand up well in this recipe!
- Egg Yolks - Egg yolks are HEALTHY so don't be scared to use them. If you are being mindful of fat intake, you can reduce to one egg yolk or swap for egg white. The egg yolks do give this recipe it's healthy fat and beautiful vibrant color so it will look different and be less filling if you omit them or swap for egg whites.
- Broth - Any broth or stock will work. I always use low sodium broth.
- Spices - Feel free to substitute fresh herbs and spices. Use double the amount of fresh herbs in place of dry herbs.
Healthy Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
- Heat the olive oil in the large pot over medium heat. Then add the onion, garlic, carrots and cauliflower rice. Stir and heat until the veggies are translucent.
- Add the chicken broth and parsley to the pot. Stir and heat for 10 minutes. While the broth is warming, mix the egg yolks in a bowl with a small amount of the chicken broth from the pot. Whisk together until the yolks are mixed in.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the pot along with the pre-cooked shredded chicken, kale, lemon, dried parsley, salt and pepper.
- Simmer with the cover on for 10-minutes or until warm and the kale is wilted. Serve warm with lemon slices and fresh parsley!
- Store the soup in the refrigerator in a container up to 5 days or in the freezer up to 60 days.
- This Lemon Chicken Soup recipe can be stored in a container in the refrigerator up to 5 days. You can also freeze this soup recipe up to 60 days.