This High Protein Chickpea Minestrone Soup is the best Instant Pot or slow cooker soup! Simple, healthy, delicious and nutritious. Get ready for an amazing tasting soup! Gluten Free + Low Calorie
Growing up in Wisconsin, I have a fond love for hearty soups and casseroles. How else are you supposed to stay warm in the winter in the midwest? With food of course! And, I have to admit there's nothing more comforting than pulling up to a hot bowl of nourishing goodness.
If you love vegetables, meat and pasta, you're gonna love this high protein chickpea minestrone soup recipe! The best part is you can literally throw the ingredients in an Instant Pot and have dinner done in under 30 minutes. Yep! That's as say as it gets folks!
High Protein Chickpea Minestrone Soup
Love minestrone, but don't love the carbs? If you have Hashimoto's disease like me, then you know traditional pasta's off limits. While there are many gluten free pastas available now, many of them are cross contaminated or are higher in carbs. So what's a gluten free person to do?
Chickpea pasta! It's my favorite replacement for flour based pastas. Not only are they higher in protein, chickpeas are high in fiber and naturally gluten free.
A much healthier alternative to regular pastas, but my one piece of advice is to look for organic chickpeas pasta. Chickpeas are heavily sprayed with pesticides so organic is a better option!
Ingredients for Healthy Minestrone Soup
- Ground turkey, chicken or beef
- Olive oil
- Chickpea pasta
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Diced tomatoes
- Tomato juice
- Onion, garlic
- Italian seasoning, bay leaves
- Instant Pot or slow cooker
If you don't have an Instant Pot (I highly recommend you invest in one or put it on your birthday wish list because they are life changing!), then you can make this recipe on the stovetop or in a slow cooker.
Soups can be made with any of those methods. The Instant Pot just makes it so very easy!
For the veggies and meat, substitute anything you like. You do NOT need to cook the meat before adding to the pot.
That's what I love most about this recipe. How versatile it is!
If you do buy mixed veggies with corn, I recommend you buy an organic, non-GMO one as corn is the most genetically modified crop which contributes to inflammatory problems.
Hope you love the recipe, it's a goodie!
High Protein Chickpea Minestrone Soup
- 1 lb ground turkey or meat of choice
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea pasta
- 15 oz diced tomatoes
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 2 cups mixed veggies frozen
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the olive oil, onions and garlic in the Instant Pot and set to sauté. Cook 1-2 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add the uncooked ground turkey and cook another 5 minutes, breaking up the meat with a spatula as the meat cooks.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot, cover, set to pressure cook and set the release valve to seal. Note, it will take the Instant Pot 15-20 minutes to build up pressure before it cooks so plan accordingly!
- Cook 3 minutes then release the pressure valve, uncover and serve!
- To make on the stovetop, follow step 1 and 2 of the instructions only using a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a low simmer, cover and cook 10 minutes until pasta is al dente then serve!
- To make in a slow cooker, place all the ingredients except the pasta in a crockpot and set to high for 3-4 hours. Add the pasta during the last 30 minutes then serve!
- My Amazon shop has more products similar to those used for this recipe and that I recommend to my weight loss clients.
- If you enjoyed this recipe, check out my cookbook for more delicious recipes!
What I Used For The Recipe