Meal Prep Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps! A Gluten Free appetizer or meal filled with spicy flavor! Minimal ingredients and quick to make. Perfect for an easy meal prep! Low Carb + Gluten Free + Low Calorie
Many of you have been asking for a chicken lettuce wrap recipe and I could not agree more! This copycat PF Changs chicken lettuce wrap recipe is lower calorie, low carb and healthier for you!
It's simple, easy and delicious. Perfect for a quick dinner, meal prep for lunch or even to serve as an appetizer.
Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
We sometimes grab PF Chang's or Pei Wei takeout on Friday nights, and we always get lettuce wraps. In fact, it's usually my entree.
The only problem is I know there's gluten snuck in them from the sauces they use, so I wanted to have my own go-to gluten free recipe for when we wanted at-home takeout. This one does the job and it's easy to make too!
I like to add bulk (aka fiber and veggies) to our meals which is why I added carrots to this recipe. I don't think the PF Chang's version has carrots, but I the Pei Wei one does.
Either way, you can't taste the carrots in the recipe. They get super soft when cooked with the sauces. It also makes them much more filling. Exactly why I love adding bulk!
Ingredients For Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Here's what you need to make these copycat PF Changs lettuce wraps! Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the blog post for the ingredients measurements, full instructions, nutritional data and to print this recipe.
- Ground Chicken Breast
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Water Chestnuts
- Coconut Aminos
- Chili Paste
- Rice Wine Vinegar
- Gluten Free Hoisin Sauce
- Butter Lettuce
- Green Onions
- Large Skillet
For substituting specific ingredients, scroll down to the section below that says substitutions.
How To Make PF Changs Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Step One - Bring a large skillet to medium heat on the stove and add the oil.
Step Two - Add the garlic, carrots and meat to the skillet. Cook 7-8 minutes breaking up the meat with a spatula while it cooks until the meat it cooked fully.
Step Three - Add the chili paste, coconut aminos, Sriracha, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar and water chestnuts to the pan. Stir to combine.
Step Four - Simmer another 5 minutes in the pan then add the sliced green onions. Stir and serve with lettuce!
What Lettuce Is Best For Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Boston lettuce is best for lettuce wraps, but can be hard to find. Butter lettuce, Boston lettuce, romaine or iceberg can all be used though!
How To Store Lettuce Wraps With Ground Chicken
- Refrigerator: Store leftover chicken mixture in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Store any remaining lettuce separately in a large plastic storage bag lined with paper towels or in a salad spinner. Assemble the lettuce wraps when ready to eat.
- Freezer: You can freeze the chicken mixture for lettuce wraps in an airtight container up to 30 days. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before eating.
- Reheating: Reheat the chicken filling in a microwave or on the stovetop in a skillet until warmed through.
What To Serve With Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Lettuce wraps can be made as an appetizer or as a meal. I always enjoy it as a meal! Here are a few ideas of what you can serve with it.
Helpful Lettuce Wrap Tips For Meal Prepping
If you're making these healthy chicken lettuce wraps gluten free, be sure to buy gluten free for the sauces. As I mentioned, most sauces have wheat in them. The recipe also has options to make this recipe Paleo friendly. Portion your meal into 4 meal prep containers for an easy lunch or take-out dinner at home!
Substitutions For Healthy Beef Lettuce Wraps
Here are the substitutions I recommend for this recipe. Remember when you substitute ingredients it does change the nutrition data from the recipe card you see below.
- Ground Chicken - Ground turkey, ground pork, tempeh, tofu or shrimp would work well with this recipe too instead of ground chicken. You can also take chicken breast or chicken tenders and blend in a food processor to make it ground.
- Garlic - Use 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder instead of minced.
- Coconut Aminos - Coconut aminos are great if you are gluten free or Paleo. If you are not gluten free or Paleo, you can use low sodium soy sauce or Tamari. Do not omit this as it will alter the flavor.
- Water Chestnuts - I bought chopped water chestnuts for this recipe. Can't find chopped chestnuts? No problem! Use sliced water chestnuts and toss them in a food processor and roughly chop them by pulsing it a few times.
- Gluten Free Hoisin Sauce - Regular hoisin sauce works if you are not gluten free. Do not omit this sauce though as it gives the sauce much of its flavor.
- Chili Paste - Do not omit this if possible as it gives the sauce it's delicious flavor.
- Sriracha - This is not required for this recipe, but does give it a spicy kick.
- Green Onions - These are optional. You can omit them or use chopped cilantro instead.
- Additional Veggies - You can easily pack more veggies into this meal by adding diced mushrooms, diced zucchini or finely chopped bell pepper.
More Healthy Asian Recipes To Try
- Meal Prep Chicken Teriyaki Broccoli
- Vegan Soy Free Stir-Fry Sauce
- Paleo Spicy Shrimp Sausage Stir-Fry
- Paleo Clean Out The Fridge Chicken Veggie Stir-Fry
- Easy Shrimp & Broccoli Stir-Fry
- Meal Prep General TSO's Chicken
Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 1/4 lb Ground Chicken Breast
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Carrots shredded and roughly chopped
- 8 ounces Water Chestnuts sliced drained and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons Garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Chili paste
- 1 tablespoon Rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Aminos
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 2 tablespoons Gluten Free Hoisin Sauce
- 1 head Butter Lettuce or iceberg
- 2 Green Onions diced
- Add the extra virgin olive oil to a large sauté pan and bring to medium heat.
- To the pan, add the minced garlic, carrots and ground chicken. Cook 7-8 minutes until chicken is cooked thoroughly. Using a wooden spoon, break up the chicken while it cooks.
- Add the chili paste, coconut aminos, Sriracha, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar and water chestnuts to the pan. Top with the green onions then stir to combine.
- Simmer another 5 minutes in the pan then divide into 4 meal prep containers if using for meal prepping. Serve with lettuce.