Healthy Cauliflower Bread is low carb, high protein, gluten free and low calorie. A healthy bread recipe packed with nutrition, protein and delicious flavors! Low Carb + Gluten Free + Low Calorie
Healthy Cauliflower Bread is all the things you love about bread without the carbs wrapped up in a baked good!
This healthy bread recipe is filled with garlic, spices, cheese and cauliflower rice for the most perfect homemade bread made better for you!
Enjoy it with breakfast, as a sandwich, with soup or a side bread to a meal. No matter how you enjoy it - it's delicious! It's also gluten free, low carb and low calorie.
Why I Love This Easy Healthy Cauliflower Bread Recipe
- High Protein - Each slice has 5 grams of protein making this a protein bread so speak. Very few bread recipes have that much protein per serving. The eggs and egg whites give this recipe its protein content.
- Healthy Fat - Instead of using a ton of butter or canola oil, this recipe uses a bit of extra virgin olive oil to keep the bread moist. The remaining fat is from the almond flour and eggs which is healthy fat. Only 1 gram of fat per serving is from less optimal fat (saturated).
- Lower Carb - All the ingredients in this recipe are lower carb making this a great option for those are carb conscious.
- Low Calorie - Each slice of this bread is only 109 calories!
- Gluten Free - All ingredients are gluten free.
Is Cauliflower Bread Healthy?
Not all cauliflower bread recipes are healthy. This is a healthier option for those that love low carb breads or gluten free breads. It's better balanced in nutrition than other recipes as most of them have a lot more fat making the macronutrients less balanced overall.
This recipe is lower fat and lower in calories compared to other cauliflower bread recipes! It's also made with simple ingredients.
Ingredients For Healthy Cauliflower Bread
Here's what you need to make this yummy low carb cauliflower bread! You will also need a 9-inch by 5-inch loaf pan as well as mixing bowls. A hand mixer is recommended, but not required. See the bottom of this post for substitutions.
- Cauliflower Rice
- Egg Whites
- Almond Flour
- Baking Powder
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Italian Seasoning
- Sea Salt
- Parsley for garnish
How To Make Low Carb Bread with Cauliflower
Making bread with cauliflower rice is actually simple even if you're not an experienced baker. Here's how to make low carb bread with cauliflower rice. See the recipe card at the end of this post for full instructions and nutrition.
Step one preheat the oven 350 F. Then prepare a 9-inch by 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
Step three transfer the cauliflower rice to a microwave bowl for 3-4 minutes to steam. Remove from the microwave and set aside to cool. Once cool, ring out any liquid by placing the cauliflower in a clean kitchen towel and ringing it out.
Step flour in two separate bowls, separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Beat the bowl with the egg whites until stiff peaks form. I find this works better with a hand mixer, but you can mix by hand too.
Step five add half the egg whites to the egg yolk bowl with the almond flour, garlic, baking powder, olive oil and salt and fold together.
Step six add the cauliflower rice, Italian seasoning, cheese and remaining egg whites and fold together. Be careful to not over mix. This is important otherwise the bread will get too dense.
Step seven transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle the top with parsley.
Step eight bake for 45-50 minutes or until the bread is lightly browned. Cool completely after baking before slicing and serving.
How To Store Cauliflower Bread
I recommend storing gluten free cauliflower bread in the refrigerator up to 7 days in an airtight container. Do not keep it at room temperature as it has cheese in it.
Can You Freeze Healthy Cauliflower Bread
You can freezer this healthy cauliflower bread recipe. Store it in a container wrapped in plastic wrap to keep out the moisture up to 60 days. To eat, remove from the freeze and thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
How To Eat Low Carb Cauliflower Bread
There's so many ways you can enjoy cauliflower bread! It's a great alternative to bread in the morning. I talk about in my free weight loss class the importance of a high protein breakfast. This bread has 5 grams of protein per slice making it a great addition to eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese in the morning. It's a good protein bread!
You can certainly enjoy this cauliflower bread as a sandwich for lunch with lunchmeat or leftover turkey, chicken, tuna or another protein on top! Cauliflower bread can also be served as a side bread that's healthier with lunch or dinner.
There's so many options for how you can enjoy this gluten free cauliflower bread. You will be surprised how versatile it is!
Substitutions for Cauliflower Bread Recipe
Here's the substitutions you can make with this healthy cauliflower bread recipe. As always, remember that any substitutions or changes you make will change the nutritional data from what you see at the end of this post.
- Cauliflower - You can use cauliflower rice purchased from the grocery store that's already riced in the refrigerated section or a head of cauliflower for this recipe. I wouldn't recommend using frozen for this recipe as it would be wet and might not hold well.
- Almond Flour - This recipe has only be tested with almond flour and I believe it will have the best texture with almond flour. You can try gluten free flour as an alternative, but you may need to test the quantity as I have not tested it. Coconut flour will not work and would require a different recipe.
- Egg Whites - You can substitute the 6 egg whites for 3 whole eggs. This will increase the calories and DECREASE the protein as 3 whole eggs have less protein than 6 egg whites. Note this would be an addition to the 3 whole eggs already in this recipe.
- Garlic - You can substitute garlic powder, garlic salt or omit the garlic if you prefer a bread without flavor.
- Italian Seasoning - Dried parsley or basil could be substituted instead. You can also use free herbs if you like.
- Parmesan - The cheese gives the recipe a lot of flavor and holds the bread together. You could omit it, but the texture would be different as well as the taste.
Healthy Cauliflower Bread
- Preheat Oven to 350 F. Prepare a 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Chop the cauliflower into florets if not using cauliflower rice and pulse in a food processor until it becomes a rice consistency.
- Transfer the cauliflower rice to a microwave bowl for 3-4 minutes to steam. Remove from the microwave and set aside to cool. Once cool, ring out any liquid by placing the cauliflower in a clean kitchen towel and ringing it out.
- In two separate bowls, separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Place the egg yolks in a separate bowl and whisk. Then beat the bowl with the egg whites until stiff peaks form. I find this works better with a hand mixer, but you can mix by hand too.
- Add 1/2 the egg whites to the egg yolk bowl with the almond flour, garlic, baking powder, olive oil and salt and fold together.
- Add the cauliflower rice, Italian seasoning, cheese and remaining egg whites and fold together. Be careful to not overmix.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle the top with parsley.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the bread is lightly browned. Cool completely after baking before slicing and serving.
- I recommend storing gluten free cauliflower bread in the refrigerator up to 7 days in an airtight container. Do not keep it at room temperature as it has cheese in it.