This hearty Turkey Kale Enchilada Soup is packed with flavor, nutrient rich foods and tons of flavor. A low calorie meal that comes together in 30 minutes! Gluten Free + Low Calorie
My clients have made it known they want more recipes for healthier versions of comfort food favorites in the form of soup recipes! They're my quality control and a great resource for creating content for the blog. If you ever want to see something, specific drop in the comments and let me know!
Today we're getting cozy with a hearty bowl of enchilada soup. Are you ready? Because this soup is one you MUST MAKE!
But... this isn't just any enchilada soup friends. It's HEALTHY, made with SIMPLE ingredients, FILLING and LIGHTER than other soups across the internet.
Turkey Kale Enchilada Soup
This crazy delicious soup is bursting with flavor! It's made with lean group turkey, black beans, bell peppers, onion, enchilada sauce and kale, and comes together in under 30 minutes in one pot. It's made leaner with the ground turkey, higher in fiber with the beans and vegetables and lower in sugar using a low sugar enchilada sauce.
I used my healthy enchilada sauce for this soup recipe to keep the calories and sugar content lower, but you can always buy it too!
What You Need
- Ground turkey
- Black beans
- Orange bell pepper
- Olive oil
- Enchilada sauce
- Arrowroot powder
How to make healthy enchilada soup
Start by adding the olive oil to a large pot and bringing it to medium heat. Add the diced white onions, bell peppers and minced garlic. Stir and sauté 3-4 minutes until the veggies are slightly tender but not quite done.
Next add the ground turkey and cumin. Use a spatula to break up the turkey while it cooks 5-7 minutes. Once the turkey is browned, stir in the arrowroot powder and vegetable broth until absorbed the arrowroot powder is absorbed. You can sub corn starch as an alternative.
Last add the enchilada sauce and black beans. Cover, reduce to a low heat for 15 minutes then stir in the kale and cook another 3 minutes before serving. Yum! Yum! Yum!
What kind of enchilada sauce to buy
One peek at a store bought jar of enchilada sauce may be enough to consider making your own. Many sauces have sugar added to them. The new nutrition labels make it easy to detect this as it can be confusing with the natural sugar from the vegetables.
Avoiding added sugar is really important if weight management is your control and if, cravings are something you battle. Too much added sugar is known to increase cravings and cause imbalances with fat loss hormones.
You can find sugar free enchilada sauces at the store. Just check the label before you buy!
Can you make your own enchilada sauce
YES! I make my own and it's so easy. I usually have homemade enchilada sauce on hand in the refrigerator for a quick meal or to add flavor to boring chicken. Sauces are one of my favorite ways to make healthy food actually taste good. Give it a try sometime!
Turkey Kale Enchilada Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 orange bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup white onion diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb ground turkey or meat of choice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz enchilada sauce
- 15 oz black beans no salt added, drained
- 3 cups kale de-stemmed
- Add the extra virgin olive oil to a large pot and bring it to medium heat. Add the diced white onions, bell peppers and minced garlic. Stir and saute 3-4 minutes until the veggies are slightly tender but not quite done.
- Add the ground turkey and cumin. Break up the turkey using a spatula as it cooks 5-7 minutes. Once the turkey is browned, stir in the arrowroot powder and vegetable broth until absorbed.
- Add the enchilada sauce and black beans. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook another 15 minutes. Stir in the kale and cook another 3 minutes then remove from the heat and serve.
- Store the soup in the refrigerator up to 7 days or in the freezer up to 60 days.
What I Used For The Recipe