Skinny Greek Yogurt Lemon Bars! These creamy bars have a gluten free shortbread crust with a stevia sweetened Greek yogurt custard layer on top that's bursting with lemon flavor! These lightened up bars are baked to perfection for the ultimate low calorie dessert! Gluten Free + Low Calorie
You will LOVE these zesty and light Skinny Greek Yogurt Lemon Bars! They're one of my favorite lighter dessert recipes for warm weather along with Mini Protein Cheesecakes and Avocado Key Lime Pie Bars.
I'm all about eating regular desserts. I firmly believe they can fit into a balanced lifestyle. However, I do think there are simple ways to make desserts and treats lower calories without sacrificing flavor or taste.
These Skinny Greek yogurt Lemon Bars use yogurt to boost the protein and they are delicious too!
These bars, well, I just love them. I ate the last one out of the freezer the other day and seriously was sad they were gone. P.S. I keep all my treats in the freezer so I don't eat them at once!
But these bars...oh my are they good! They're made with a gluten free crust that resembles the texture of a graham cracker crust. If grains aren't your thing, try almond flour. I haven't tried it, but I suspect it will work.
For the filling, I kept it lighter and lower in sugar by using stevia to sweeten and increased the protein content by using Greek yogurt. Not only are they lighter in sugar and lower in calories, but there's also more protein. That means you're sneaking in more protein with every bite!
So if it isn't spring where you are, these bars can make you pretend it's spring. One can always hope, right?
Skinny Greek Yogurt Lemon Bars
For the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper or grease liberally.
- Transfer the dough to the baking pan. Using your fingers, press it into the bottom of the pan firmly into an even layer.
- Bake at 350 F for 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool 20 minutes.
- While the crust cools, prepare the filling by mixing the ingredients for the filling except the lemon zest together until well combined. See notes on sugar content. Test the batter as necessary, add and combine as needed.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Pour the filling over the cooled crust. Make sure it is cool before pouring so it does not crack the crust.
- Bake at 325 F for 35 minutes or until the filling has set. Once the edges turn slightly brown you will know it has set.
- Remove from the oven and cool the bars at room temperature 60 minutes then chill in the refrigerator at least 2 hours before slicing into 12 bars and sprinkling with lemon zest.
- Store bars in the refrigerator up to 7 days or in the freezer 30 days.
- I used Trader Joe's stevia as I do not like things too sweet. Test the batter and adjust the amount as needed for yourself. Alternatively use 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar.
- Other flours have not been tested with the recipe. I'm assuming almond flour will work.
- Make sure to measure properly for gluten free baking.
- My Amazon shop has more products similar to those used for this recipe and that I recommend to my weight loss clients.
- If you love this recipe, check out my low calorie cookbook for more delicious recipes and weight loss tips!