Healthy Mini Protein Cheesecakes are a low fat treat made with Greek Yogurt, lower in sugar and delicious! These healthier cheesecakes will soon become your favorite dessert recipe! Gluten Free + Low Calorie
They are made with fat-free Greek Yogurt, light cream cheese, egg, lemon and a buttery graham-cracker crust.
They're light, smooth, creamy and the best part is they're made better for you and are pre-portioned for a healthier dessert option!
What Makes These Protein Cheesecakes Better For You
- Lower Fat - A typical slice of cheesecake has 40 grams of fat and higher. This version has 5 grams of fat total.
- Lower Calorie - Cheesecake runs anywhere from 400-1000 calories. This healthier version has 122 calories.
- Lower Sugar - There's just 7 grams of sugar in this recipe.
- Higher Protein - This healthy cheesecake recipe has 4 grams of protein which is a lot for a dessert recipe!
Mini Protein Cheesecake Ingredients
Here's what you need to make these delicious high protein cheesecakes! Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the blog post for the ingredient measurements, full instructions, nutritional data and to print this recipe.
- Light Cream Cheese
- Low Fat Greek Yogurt
- Coconut Sugar
- Egg Yolk
- Vanilla Extract
- Lemon Juice
- Arrowroot Powder
- Lemon Zest
- Graham Crackers
For ingredient substitution recommendations, scroll to the section below labeled substitutions.
How To Make Healthier Cheesecake With Protein
It's simple to make these mini cheesecakes! Here's how...
Step One - Make the crust by pulsing the graham crackers in a food processor. Add the butter and pulse to combine.
Step Two - Once the crust is combined, press it into your lined muffin cavities and bake until golden brown.
Step Three - Make the filling as the crust bakes.
Step Four - Top the filling on top of the baked crust then bake again until the filling has set.
Step Five - Remove from the oven and chili at room temperature 30 minutes then refrigerator to set the cheesecakes a minimum of 4 hours.
You will also need a muffin tin with muffin liners. Silicone liners work best because the cheesecakes pop right out of them. Paper liners do not work as well as they get stuck.
How To Make The Best Protein Cheesecakes
- Use Room Temperature Ingredients - Ensuring the eggs, lemon juice, cream cheese and yogurt are at room-temperature will ensure you cheesecake is perfectly smooth and has the right texture. Using cold ingredients will increase the bake time and potentially they will turn out under baked.
- Do Not Over Mix The Filling - Beat the filling just until the ingredients are combined otherwise the filling will be tough.
- Do Not Over Bake - Remove the mini protein cheesecakes from the oven once the filling has set and is not jiggling. Over baked cheesecakes will not be as creamy and will be more sponge-like.
How To Serve Gluten Free Cheesecake
These cheesecakes are best made 24 hours in advance of serving. They require 4 hours of chilling, but if they can set in the refrigerator overnight even better!
Serve low calorie cheesecake chilled with fresh berries on top, but you can also do chocolate, peanut butter, crushed nuts or seeds if you like!
I recommend only keeping cheesecake out at room temperature up to 1 hour.
How To Store Healthy Cheesecakes
- Refrigerator - Protein cheesecakes must be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container up to 5 days. They may get slightly moist on top from the refrigeration. Take a paper towel and blot them gently before serving if this happens.
- Freezer - I have not tried freezing healthy cheesecake, but I would not recommend it.
Can I Make One Large Cheesecake
I have not tried making one large cheesecake from this recipe, but it might work if you were to use a spring form cheesecake pan.
Substitutions For Healthy Cheesecakes
Here are the substitutions I recommend for this healthier cheesecake recipe. Please remember when you make substitutions, it does change the nutritional values from what you see in the recipe card below.
- Greek Yogurt - This ingredient cannot be substituted as it would require a different recipe. I used nonfat Greek Yogurt for this recipe. I do not recommend using full fat or low fat for this recipe. Do not use a dairy free substitute for the recipe.
- Cream Cheese - I used light cream cheese for this recipe. I do not recommend using full fat cream cheese or whipped cream cheese. Neufchatel cream cheese is another option that has 1/3 less fat than regular cream cheese.
- Coconut Sugar - You can use light brown sugar, Swerve or another sugar substitute. You can also omit the sugar if you like.
- Graham Crackers - You can use almond flour instead of graham crackers. For gluten free, use gluten free graham crackers.
- Arrowroot Powder - Cornstarch or tapioca flour can be used instead. You cannot omit this ingredient as it is used to thicken the cheesecake to the perfect consistency.
- Dairy Free - There is not a dairy-free cheesecake option with this recipe.
- Gluten Free - To make gluten free cheesecakes, use gluten free graham crackers.
More Healthy Dessert Recipes
Healthy Mini Protein Cheesecakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line 12 muffin cavities with cupcake liners.
- Add the graham crackers to a food processor and process until they have the appearance of crumbs. Add the melted butter and pulse a few times to combine.
- Divide the graham cracker crumbs among the 12 muffin cavities lining the bottom of each one. Press the crumbs firmly into the bottom of the cavity to form the crust.
- Bake for 5 minutes in the heated oven. Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool while you prepare the filling.
- Add the cream cheese and Greek yogurt to a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer. Once smooth, add the sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract, egg, egg yolk and arrowroot powder. Beat with an electric mixer on a low setting until smooth.
- Divide the filling among the 12 muffin cavities, placing on top of the cooked crust. Bake for 18-20 minutes until the filling has set. It should not wiggle.
- Remove from the oven and cool at room temperature for 30 minutes then chill for 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Remove from the refrigerator top with Reddi Whip and freshly sliced berries and blueberries and serve!
- I recommend silicone muffin liners as the cheesecake will easily release. Paper doesn't work as well.