Grain free, paleo, vegan Chocolate Berry Bars made with an almond, coconut crust, generously filled with a luscious chocolate sauce and topped with a garden of fresh berries. This decadent treat is a healthy dessert that will satisfy any sweet tooth! Paleo + Gluten Free + Vegan
I’m forewarning you! It’s going to be a week of treats here so if you’re dying for something healthy or if you’re having willpower issues this is DEFINITELY the place to be because I’ve got some snazzy, low calorie goodies in store for you! It is Valentine’s week and since I don’t have a sweetie you are my adopted valentines. I’m sure you’re disappointed about that! Feel free to pause this blog episode for a dance break. No judgement here. This is a judgement free zone. PARTY! PARTY! PARTY!
But before we get the party started, let’s catch up. It been FOREVER since we talked so here’s a quick rundown. Two weeks ago I started holistic nutrition school and holly balls it was a lot of work! Suddenly I’m reading multiple chapters, writing papers again, having assignments due and of course on day 1 my MacBook crashed. Day 1 people! I’m thinking I need to buy a new one so I have a backup because no computer means no blogging and no school and that’s no bueno.
On the flip side, my nutrition program and my health coach program have been incredible. I feel like I’m exactly where I should be right now. That said, I’m trying to figure out my new routine and I’m also still looking for work. It’s overwhelming adjusting to a new path and the uncertainty that comes with something new and this big.
I’m doing something completely different from what I used to do. It freaks me out. I still have those, days, hours, minutes, moments when I think what the heck am I doing? Then I remind myself I’m not questioning my decision rather allowing fear (of the unknown) creep in. Sometimes you gotta have faith.
Speaking of faith, I took a big one making these bars. I knew the paleo crust would work. I’ve used it before. It tastes like a thick and chewy graham cracker. Honestly, I could just eat the crust. But what kind of PARTY would it be without CHOCOLATE?
And that’s where the risk comes in. I did something I’ve never done before to make the chocolate thick and luscious. Make sure you read the instructions carefully to get it just right. P.S. I highly recommend you double the chocolate to save for drizzling on pancakes. Now if you’ll excuse me….I have
school a party to get to!
3 Smart Strategies To Stop Cravings
BONUS when you sign up!
Chocolate Berry Bars
For the crust
Preheat oven 350 F and line an 8x8 square baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, coconut sugar, salt and baking soda. I combined mine with a fork to breakup any clumps of flour.
- Add the maple syrup and coconut oil to the flour mixture. It will be sticky, somewhat runny mixture.
- Place the mixture in the prepared baking dish, pressing it evenly throughout the pan with your hand. Bake 15-18 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let the mixture cool completely about 1 hour.
- To a small saucepan, add almond milk and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add cocoa powder and chocolate and reduce to medium-low. Stir continuously for 10-12 minutes until a thick chocolatey mixture appears. The chocolate should be a little runny like a glaze. If it is too runny, add a little extra cocoa powder to thicken.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the crust, spreading evenly throughout with a baking spatula.
- Arrange berries on the top of the chocolate, pressing slightly into the chocolate.
Place the bars in the freezer 2-3 hours until set. Then cut into 16 bars. Store bars in the freezer until gone. They will go quickly!
Measure the flour properly when making these muffins or you will end up with 2 times the amount of dry ingredients.
To lighten up the recipe more, reduce the maple syrup or replace the maple syrup with powdered stevia. I use Trader Joe's stevia as a baking replacement.
Visit my shop for more products I used for this recipe and recommend to my nutrition clients.
Custom Meal Plans
Work with Megan to develop a custom macro or standard meal plan to reach your goals.