This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #YesYouCAN #CollectiveBias
Paleo Turkey Sweet Potato Casserole layered with eggplant, tomato, bright herbs and a nutty sauce. A protein packed dinner that’s super easy to make!
There are two things I love about winter. #1 football and you guys know who I’m rooting for! #2 easy, stress free meals. Winter just screams casserole to me because of its simplicity. That simplicity is what it makes it possible to escape the kitchen for a relaxing day of game watching fun and do I ever have an awesome recipe to share with you.
When I made this dish for dinner last weekend, I could not wait to share it with you. Have you ever just thrown a bunch of ingredients together and prayed it would turn out? Well…this turned out BIG! This easy peasy casserole is made with fresh ingredients, canned tomatoes and even comes with a kitchen hack. So perfect and easy for Game Day!
Do you ever look at recipe and pass on making it because it’s too much work prepping everything? So guilty!!! I love being in the kitchen and all, but chopping and prepping produce isn’t where the action’s at. For me, it’s all about the eating! And when the game’s on, the last thing I want to do is spend all day in the kitchen. In fact, all I want to do is be cozied up on the couch eating good food and watching the big GAME. BUT you guys, I have an awesome time saving hack for you so you can eat something delicious and watch the game.
The big bad secret lies in the hands of an apple slicer. Yes, an apple slicer! I think apple slicers should officially be renamed produce slicers because I use mine all the time to quickly chop produce. They’re really handy when you need even slices. Simply crop the food into sliceable portions then let the apple slicer do the rest of the work and POOF! Everything’s prepped. I use this apple slicer!
Want to know another hack? Pairing fresh produce with canned ingredients like Hunt’s canned tomatoes are a time savior too. Oh yeah, did I mention this delicious casserole is low calorie, low fat, gluten free, Paleo, packed with nutrition and topped with a creamy sauce? Well it is!
Canned tomatoes are my secret weapon for boosting the nutritional value of meals without adding calories. And you can’t beat the convenience of buying Hunt’s tomatoes in a can and the time it saves on Game Day.
To make this dreamy, herb induced casserole, chop the veggies, brown the meat with onion and tomatoes, layer in a casserole dish with the eggplant, top with that creamy, nutty flavored sauce and bake! Now I know some of you are picky eaters and don’t like eggplant. If you’re not an eggplant lover, you can do a 1:1 swap for zucchini and it will be equally as delicious.
Are you ready for another hack? Wait…I’m not sure you’re ready. Okay…I’ll tell you because I can’t keep it a secret any longer. You can save even more time on Game Day by assembling this casserole the night before and popping it in the oven the day of the big game. WOW! I just gave you THREE hacks. How did that happen? I was just so excited about sharing this recipe and I hope you are too. Now head to Walmart to pick up the ingredients and get your Game Day face on!
Get A Custom Meal Plan!
Take the guesswork out of meal planning with my Custom Meal Plans! As a nutrition practitioner, my meal plans are personalized to your nutrition, activity and lifestyle needs because there is no one size fits all when it comes to food.
$37.99 for a one week plan with a personal lesson from me on building healthy meals via Skype or phone!
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled & spiralized*
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into ½ inch pieces (or zucchini)*
- ¼ cup of chopped onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes, liquid drained
- 1 8 oz can tomato paste
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ⅛ tsp oregano
- ⅛ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp tarragon flakes + more for topping
- 1½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- Preheat oven 350 F and spray an 8x8 inch square casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add ground turkey, garlic and onion cooking until browned, breaking up the meat as it browns.
- Stir in the tomato paste and tomatoes to combine with the turkey. Add sweet potatoes cooking until slightly softened.
- Place chopped eggplant in a bowl with all seasonings and toss to combine.
- Layer the eggplant on the bottom of the casserole dish and top with turkey and sweet potato mixture.
- Place in the oven and bake 15 minutes.
- While baking, heat a small pot to a boil and add olive oil with almond and coconut flours.
- Stir 1 minute until it thickens then reduce to medium high heat slowly add almond milk to the pan whisking as you stir.
- Continue whisking another 10 minutes until the sauce reduces to half.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and top with sauce.
- Place the casserole back in the oven to cook another 40-45 minutes until the top of the casserole has browned.
- Remove from the oven, top with more tarragon, slice into 6 pieces and serve immediately.
*You can chop, spiralize or use my easy kitchen hack with the apple slicer to prep the veggies. Have fun with it!
What is one of your cooking hacks? How do you make game day eating easy?