Healthy Asian Broccoli Salad is a delicious low calorie broccoli salad mixed with almonds, veggies, mandarin oranges and an Asian marinade. Served chilled for a super healthy side salad or appetizer! Gluten Free + Low Calorie + Paleo + Vegan
Tired of the same old boring vegetables? Not sure what to bring to that summer BBQ or gathering? I’ve got the perfect solution for you HEALTHY ASIAN BROCCOLI SALAD.
This beautiful salad is not healthy, but it’s got flavor, crunch and a tangy Asian sauce that pairs well with the mandarin oranges, veggies and nuts. A healthy salad recipe that requires no cooking and that everyone will love!
Healthy Asian Broccoli Salad
Not only is this salad made with healthy, nutrient dense ingredients, it’s also vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free and Paleo friendly. Here’s a few more reasons why I love it!
- Low Calorie – Each serving (about 1 1/2 cups) is 171 calories. The calories don’t matter unless the ingredients are nutrient dense and this salad is packed with nutrients and flavor! That’s the best kind of low calorie there is.
- High Fiber – Fiber is so important for hormone balancing, weight loss and gut health. Each serving is packed with 5 grams which is good amount! I talk more about the importance of fiber for hormones and weight loss in this free weight loss class.
- Lower Fat – Each serving has just 7 grams total fat with 1 gram coming from saturated fat. The other 6 grams are coming from GOOD FAT your body needs to function properly.
- Higher Protein – Each serving has 5 grams of protein. That’s very high for a salad without animal protein!
Ingredients To Make A Low Calorie Asian Broccoli Salad
- Broccoli, raw
- Red Bell Pepper
- Red Onion
- Mandarin Oranges, canned (look for one without syrup)
- Almonds, slivered
- Sesame Seeds
- Coconut Aminos
- Rice Wine Vinegar
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
How To Make A Broccoli Salad with Asian Marinade
Making Broccoli Salad is a breeze which makes it ideal for a healthy side salad paired with a protein for a meal or for an appetizer.
Here’s how to make Asian Broccoli Salad. To start, mix together the ingredients for the marinade (see substitution recommendations below on any of the ingredients). Set the marinade aside then add the salad ingredients minus the sesame seeds to a large mixing bowl.
Pour the marinade over the ingredients in the large mixing bowl and stir well to combine. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chill in the refrigerator 20 minutes. You can chill longer, but I recommend a minimum of 20 minutes to really let the flavors marinade. You can skip the chilling; however, for the best flavor you will want to chill this salad.
How To Store A Broccoli Salad
This broccoli salad recipe can be stored in the refrigerator up to 5 days in a covered container. It’s always best served chilled and I don’t recommend leaving it out at room temperature more than an hour if you’re serving guests.
Substitutions For Asian Broccoli Salad
Here’s the substitutions you can make for this healthy broccoli salad recipe. Please keep in mind that substitutions you make will change the nutrition values you see in the recipe.
- Broccoli – Cauliflower would make an easy substitute. You can also roast the broccoli ahead of time and add it to the salad if your preference isn’t raw broccoli.
- Red Bell Pepper – You can replace this with any bell pepper, zucchini, summer squash or eggplant.
- Red Onion – Replace with scallions, white onion or omit.
- Mandarin Oranges – Tangerines, cuties or oranges chopped and peeled can be used instead.
- Almonds – Any nut or seed can be used in place of almonds.
- Sesame Seeds – You can omit these if they don’t work for you.
- Coconut Aminos – Gluten Free soy sauce, low sodium soy sauce or tamari can be used instead.
- Rice Wine Vinegar – Apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar can be used instead. If you do apple cider vinegar, I recommend reducing the quantity to one tablespoon.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Any oil can be used.
More Healthy Salad Recipes
Love healthy salad recipes? Check out these delicious and healthy, low calorie salad recipes for more inspiration!
Healthy Asian Broccoli Salad
Healthy Asian Broccoli Salad is a delicious low calorie broccoli salad mixed with almonds, veggies, mandarin oranges and an Asian marinade. Served chilled for a super healthy side salad or appetizer!
For the Salad
For the Marinade
In a small bowl, stir together the ingredients for the marinade then set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, add the broccoli, red onion, red bell pepper, mandarin oranges and slivered almonds. Add the marinade and stir to combine well. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Chill in the refrigerator 20 minutes then serve!
Keep salad in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
Love my recipes?
Check out my cookbook!