Healthy Chickpea Tomato Cucumber Salad is a low calorie side dish that’s easy to make, delicious and doubles as an appetizer. A light and filling side salad that goes easily with any meal and great for warm weather eating. Low Calorie + Gluten Free + Vegan
If you’re looking for an easy veggie packed salad to enjoy for a weeknight dinner or a side dish to bring to a summer gathering, this Chickpea Tomato Salad is for you!
This easy recipe is loaded with light, refreshing flavors and is SUPER simple to make. It takes under 10-minutes and uses 9 ingredients.
What Makes This Chickpea Tomato Salad Healthy
If you’ve been a client of mine then you know I’m all about the veggies! Veggies are energy. They keep us full, energized, keep cravings away and this Tomato Chickpea Salad is packed with veggies! Here’s a few more reasons why I love this salad.
- Low Calorie – Veggies are naturally low in calories making this salad recipe low calorie. It’s a LOT OF FOOD for very few calories.
- High Fiber – 7 grams of fiber per serving in this recipe is great! Fiber is important for hormone balancing and weight loss.
- High Protein – 7 grams of protein per serving in this recipe between the veggies and beans is GREAT for a plant-based recipe. An excellent option for vegans and vegetarians!
- Gluten Free – The recipe is naturally gluten free.
- Dairy Free – There is no dairy in this recipe.
Ingredients for Healthy Chickpea Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Green Bell Pepper
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans), no salt added
- Dried Parsley
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
How To Make Tomato Salad With Chickpeas
Making this Chickpea Salad with Tomatoes and veggies is so easy! It takes just a few minutes to toss together making it perfect for a quick veggie packed side with any meal or for a quick appetizer.
To start, wash and chop your veggies then add them to a large mixing bowl with the chickpeas. Make sure your chickpeas are drained and rinsed before this.
Next add the ingredients for the dressing to the veggies in the large bowl. Stir together well until combined then serve. I prefer making this salad about 30-60 minutes before eating so the flavors can mingle as it chills in the refrigerator. It’s not required, but the salad does taste best after it’s chilled a bit.
How To Store Leftovers From Tomato Chickpea Salad
Store leftovers in the refrigerator up to 7 days. Make sure the salad is covered so it doesn’t take on other flavors and smells that may be in your refrigerator. I use this storage container for storing leftovers.
What To Serve With Tomato Salad
There’s many ways to serve this salad that you can explore! It would make a great side salad to any meal just add protein on the side (burgers, chicken breast, pork chops, salmon, spaghetti, lasagna). Basically, you can’t go wrong serving this salad with any meal you make.
I also recommend serving tomato salad as an appetizer. It’s easy to make and perfect for taking to a BBQ, family gathering or to the beach!
Substitutions For Chickpea Tomato Salad
Here’s a few substitutions I recommend for this salad. Please remember when you make substitutions that it does affect the nutrition values you see in the recipe below.
- Chickpeas – Any bean can be substituted as well as peas or cooked lentils.
- Onion – Red onion and scallions are substitution option or you could omit the onion.
- Cucumber – Zucchini or eggplant would be good substitutes.
- Green Bell Pepper – Any bell pepper may be substituted or it can be omitted.
- Grape Tomatoes – Any tomato works in this recipe.
- Dried Parsley – Italian seasoning, oregano or fresh parsley can be substituted. I highly recommend putting some seasoning in as it really does enhance the flavor of this salad.
- Olive Oil – Any oil will work.
- Red Wine Vinegar – White vinegar works.
- Additions – Radishes, zucchini, eggplant are my recommendations.
More Salad Recipes To Try
Healthy Chickpea Tomato Cucumber Salad
Healthy Chickpea Tomato Cucumber Salad is a low calorie side dish that's easy to make, delicious and doubles as an appetizer. A light and filling side salad that goes easily with any meal and great for warmer eating.
For the Dressing
In a large bowl, combine the cherry tomatoes, cucumber, onion, bell pepper and chickpeas.
Add the ingredients for the dressing over the top of the veggies in the large bowl. Mix well and serve!
Keep the salad in the refrigerator in a covered container up to 7 days.
Love my recipes?
Check out my cookbook!