Healthy Lemon Garlic Chicken is an easy, low calorie dinner recipe made in one pan. Super flavorful, filling and family approved! Gluten Free + Paleo + Low Carb + Low Calorie
I get a lot of questions from my weight loss clients on how to make chicken more flavorful. Most people when they start on their weight loss journey, eat really bland foods and truthfully, that's a perfectly okay place to start because you're learning.
But after awhile, bland chicken will get very boring. I have a huge variety of chicken recipes on this site including my favorite low calorie chicken marinades that are great ways to incorporate more flavor into your chicken.
Today I'm sharing another easy chicken recipe too. It's super flavorful and easy to make!
Healthy Lemon Garlic Chicken
This lemon garlic chicken is one of my weeknight staples and it always seems to please anyone who's here for dinner. It's made with simple, low calorie ingredients that really awaken the chicken with a burst of flavor.
Red pepper flakes add a touch of spice to balance the citrusy flavor. That's optional, but highly recommended!
The recipe calls for chicken thighs, but you can always swap chicken breast if you prefer. I recommend pounding the chicken breasts thin so they'll cook evenly in the skillet and just as quick!
What You Need
- Chicken Thighs (or breasts - I get mine here)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
- Chicken Broth
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt, Pepper
How to Make Lemon Garlic Chicken
Oh you'll love how easy this one is! Start by heating a large skillet over medium heat with the olive oil. Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towel and sprinkle each side with salt and pepper.
Then add your chicken to the skillet and cook 5-7 minutes on each side until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
Add the lemon juice, broth and garlic to the skillet and simmer on medium heat 2-4 minutes until slightly thick. Add the chicken back to the skillet and seasoning with red pepper flakes and parsley then serve!
What to Serve with Lemon Chicken
- Roasted Veggies - roast your favorite veggies in the oven at 350 F for 15-20 minutes with salt and pepper!
- Cauliflower Rice - it mixes so well with the sauce of this recipe! Brown rice, quinoa, lentils or jasmine rice would also work well.
- Lightened Up Mashed Potatoes or Cauliflower Mash
Healthy Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Preheat a large skillet to medium heat with the olive oil.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towel and sprinkle each side with the salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the skillet cooking 5-7 minutes each side until browned then remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- To the skillet, add the lemon juice, chicken broth and garlic and scraping the bottom of the skillet for any remaining chicken remnants. Simmer the sauce on medium heat for 2-4 minutes until slightly thick then add the chicken back to the pan with the red pepper flakes and parsley.
- Serve immediately with 1-2 spoonfuls of the sauce.