Greek Yogurt Paprika Chicken roasted with lemon and cilantro! Layered with creamy Greek yogurt for added protein and flavored with a kick of paprika, this gluten free, low calorie recipe makes the perfect simple chicken dinner meal!
It’s memorial weekend and I have a broken grill. Only I would have a broken grill on a holiday weekend or does this happen to other people? It’s been broken since the car accident last summer and I just haven’t figured out what to do about it. Is there such a thing as a grill repair man?
It bums me out too because it’s not a 1000 degrees yet in the desert and this is probably the last chance I’d get to use it until winter. Technically, it does work. Mom figured out if you hold a match under the burner it will light, but that is too scary for me. I do realize that’s how most people used their stoves in the old days, but knowing my luck I’ll burn my eyebrows off or something strange.
So I’ll be grilling indoors for the time being. In fact, I don’t plan on grilling at all this weekend because I’ll be roasting this creamy Greek Yogurt Paprika Chicken! You guys, this dish is one of my favorite summer meals. It’s super stupid easy and it’s layered with a ridiculous amount of rich flavor.
It’s lightly seasoned with paprika so it does have a punch of spice, but you can always control how much spice you want on yours. I like ALL THE SPICE especially during the summer. Hello chips and salsa! I marinade the chicken in the Greek yogurt and paprika a few hours before roasting. Usually I do it in the morning, throw it in the fridge then take it out 30 minutes before I plan to make it.
Then I toss it in a roasting pan with sliced lemons that roast with the chicken making it citrus-y fragrant. I also throw fresh cilantro in the mix to give it a hint of a nutty flavor. I don’t eat the cilantro. It’s just in to give the chicken a deeper flavor. The cilantro is optional so if you’re not a cilantro fan, you can absolutely use parsley or nothing. Totally up to you!
What’s totally not optional though is the Greek yogurt, paprika and lemon. Those are must haves to make this Greek Yogurt Paprika Chicken finger-licking G-O-O-D! Let me know if you give it a try.
- 4 scaloppine chicken breasts (or pound them thin wrapped in plastic with a rolling pin or mallet) ~2 lbs of chicken
- ¾ cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp smoky paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 lemons halved
- cilantro or parsley for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, combine Greek yogurt, salt, ginger, garlic, paprika, cumin and lemon juice.
- Toss chicken into the bowl generously coating it with the yogurt mix.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour prior to making it, marinating it longer is better.
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to cooking so it is room temperature prior to cooking.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Use a roasting pan to arrange chicken in a single layer nestling lemon halves in between.
- Roast chicken 25 minutes at 400 degrees F. Remove chicken from the oven and garnish with cilantro.
- Switch the oven to high broiler setting. Place chicken under the broiler 5-6 minutes to blacken the edges a bit. Remove and devour!