Paleo & Grain Free Cinnamon Cookies! Laced with cinnamon and made with almonds, coconut and eggs these chewy & delightful cookies are low calorie and easily customizable by adding raisins, chocolate and nuts. An anytime treat you can enjoy guilt free!
WOAH, you guys. It’s been a week of treats around here. First was dark chocolate butternut squash bread then a skinny black forest smoothie and now today I’m back with more in the form of Grain Free Cinnamon Cookies. You’re so lucky! Or should I say sweet?!? I thought you deserved some treats after I bombarded you with all those savory dishes last week.
But before we talk cookies, I wanted to share a few health updates with you. I’ve been eating gluten free now since last summer after being diagnosed with gluten intolerance. Every three months, I’ve had testing done to monitor my hormones and antibodies. I saw the doctor again last week and the good news is things have been gradually trending back to normal. I’m still on the low side, but things have certainly improved and I’ve noticed a huge improvement in my energy level too.
The bad news is my antibodies are still quite high. My doctor said it likely means I’m intolerant to other food groups. So she recommended I either do a food elimination diet or allergy testing. Allergy testing costs practically costs mortgage and insurance does not pay for it. Food elimination means I can’t eat any of my favorite foods including caffeine, eggs and nuts. I mean its eggs AND nuts! I can’t live without eggs and nuts. I also think food elimination diet is not definitive because any symptoms you have could be a result of so many factors. Sometimes I think I would be better off not knowing, but I also do realize I need to figure it out.
Ok so back to these cookies! They’re grain free, made with wholesome ingredients and swimming in cinnamon. So what’s all the hype about cinnamon? Cinnamon is high in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties which helps the body fight infections and repair. Not to mention cinnamon is low calorie and a great way to naturally sweeten food because it helps to regulate blood sugar. What does all this mean to you? It means it’s good for you! So grab your cinnamon and bake yourself a batch of these good-for-you Grain Free Cinnamon Cookies this weekend.
- 1 egg white (or flax egg for vegan)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup honey (or maple syrup for vegan)
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1½ cups almond flour
- 1 tsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp cinnamon + 2 tsp more for sprinkling
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- optional: raisins, chocolate chips or other dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl whip egg white with coconut oil, sea salt, honey & almond extract
- Add almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda & nutmeg to the liquid & combine fully
- Then fold coconut flour into the batter
- With an ice cream scooper, scoop balls of the dough onto the baking sheet
- Press the doughs down slightly with the palm of your hand to flatten a bit
- Bake 10 minutes until edges are slightly brown
- Remove from the oven & cool on the baking sheet 5 minutes prior to removing
For more of the ingredients & kitchen gadgets I use, visit food shop
Have you had food allergy testing or done an elimination diet?
Linking up with Strange But Good
Disclaimer – Affiliate links are included, which enable me to earn a small income and do not affect purchase price. Money earned goes back into my large grocery bill to bring you more delicious recipes!