Healthy Banana Almond Flour Cookies are a low calorie cookie recipe made better for you, gluten free and dairy free with just 4 ingredients! Gluten Free + Low Calorie + Paleo
Cookies hold a special place in my heart. After all, I lost 80 pounds eating a cookie a day. People are always so confused by this but truthfully, how many times have you tried losing weight by cutting out ALL THE FOOD and it's failed you?
Most people attempt to lose weight by restricting, but the truth is you gotta practice enjoying all foods in moderation while you're losing weight otherwise you will never lose the weight for good. This is something I really work on with my weight loss clients. Much of this is their mindset and how they're thinking about losing weight. All or nothing mindset will always keep you stuck in the cycle of losing and gaining. Get rid of it! It doesn't serve you.
So... if you're ready to stop restricting and doing this in a way that works forever then I've got a yummy (and healthy!) cookie recipe for you!
Why This Cookie Recipe Is Better For You
This healthy cookie recipe has no added sugar is made with only four ingredients, is grain-free and dairy-free and is surprisingly easy and delicious!
With so many cookie recipes out there for you to choose from, here's a few more reasons why this banana almond flour cookie recipe is healthier.
Higher Fiber - This recipe has 2 grams of fiber per cookie from the almond flour and bananas. Fiber is incredibly important for hormone balance and weight loss as I share in this free weight loss training class.
Higher Protein - Each cookie has 3 grams of protein from the almond flour. Higher protein is important for blood sugar balance so you won't eat the whole batch!
Healthy Fat - Each cookie has only 2 grams of saturated fat which is unhealthy fat. The remaining fat is healthy fat from the almond flour. The fat will promote more fullness.
Low Calories - 113 calorie per cookie is considered very low calorie. That means you can have two or make bigger cookies, right?!?
Ingredients For Gluten Free Banana Cookies
- Bananas, very ripe (black)
- Almond Flour
- Baking Powder
- Chocolate Chips, dairy free
How To Make Banana Cookies
Making these no sugar added banana cookies couldn't be easier! Start by blending your bananas in a food processor or blender until smooth. Please ensure your bananas are very ripe, like BLACK. This is what will make the cookies sweet.
Add the almond flour and baking powder and blend again. Form the batter into cookies by scooping one large tablespoon of the batter onto a baking sheet. Use your fingers to form them into a cookie. Add the chocolate chips on top and press them gently into each cookie.
Bake the cookies and enjoy!
Substitutions For Banana Almond Flour Cookies
Here are some general substitutions for these healthy banana cookies made with almond flour. Please note that when you substitute any ingredient or change the amount, it will change the nutrition data.
- Almond Flour - Coconut flour cannot be substituted. That would require a different recipe. Gluten free flour I suspect will work with this recipe. I haven't tested the exact measurements yet and the consistency may be slightly different. I recommend you start with the measurements of this recipe when you try it. If you want to use oats, try this recipe.
- Sweetener - This recipe uses ripe bananas to sweeten it (make sure you use bananas that are black). It's perfectly sweet enough for me but if you would like something sweeter, you can add 1-2 tablespoons of maple syrup or honey. Monkfruit or stevia would work as well.
- Chocolate - Any chocolate will work. I used dairy free!
- Add-Ins - Nuts, seeds, peanut butter or dried nuts could easily be added to this recipe. I love forming these cookies into thumbprints and adding peanut butter or almond butter too!
More Cookie Recipes
Healthy Banana Almond Flour Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the bananas to a food processor or blender and blend until the bananas are smooth. Add the almond flour and baking powder then blend again.
- Transfer the batter to the baking sheet by scooping out one large tablespoon (I use a cookie scoop for this) of the batter and using your fingers to form into a cookie. Add 3-4 chocolate chips on top and press them into the batter.
- Bake the cookies 15-16 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Remove from the oven and cool on the pan 5 minutes before removing and enjoying.
- Store cookies in the refrigerator up to 7 days or in the freezer up to 60 days.