Nothing like a warm, comforting bowl of veggie packed soup on a cold day. This nutritious Butternut Sweet Potato Soup is loaded with vitamins A & C. A healthy & delicious bowl that’s gluten free, Paleo, low calorie & Vegan too!
Hi Friends! I hope your week was a good one. Mine was an exciting week. Physical therapy, a dental appointment for a cracked filling and DMV to get my license renewed. I hate going to the dentist. That noise when they clean your teeth just makes me ears cringe. The last time I had a filling done I passed out when the dentist put the needle in my mouth.
Thankfully, I’ve only had three fillings in my life and for this one they didn’t need to needle me. It could have been ugly. I could just see the headlines now. “Girl on crutches passes out at dentist.” That will go well with wearing my pants inside out at the gym. P.S. I’ve found a few tanks inside out. I think Mom’s onto me.
Going to the DMV this week was a real treat. I would have rather have gone to the dentist. Something I don’t understand about Arizona is why they would give you a driver’s license that expires in 2042, yet they send you a letter in the mail stating you need to have a new picture taken every 12 years. Why not just have the license expire every 12 years? That would be much too logical.
Something else that’s odd about Arizona is the weather this time of year. For the most part, the weather is very consistent, but in October you never know if you’re going to be wearing a sweater or a tank top. That is unless you’re a snowbird running around in shorts when it’s 70 and the rest of us Arizonans are freezing wearing sweaters thinking you’re crazy. This is not the fashion capital of the world.
Last week it cooled off 20 degrees in one day last week. It felt so cold and all I could dream of was a bowl of warm soup. Then turned around and was 100 again and here I am sipping on soup thinking it’s soup season around here. I’ve been told more than once eating hot food on a hot day actually cools you off so I’m going with that. I also couldn’t pass on this bowl of squash and sweet potato goodness and it’s delicious cold too.
Apparently, I have an slight obsession with butternut squash these days. Butternut squash maple oat pancakes, butternut squash cranberry salad and now butternut squash sweet potato soup! Butternut squash is my favorite fall veggie to cook and bake with. It’s so versatile.
This bowl has all my favorite players carrots, sweet potato and butternut. It comes together to make a creamy, vitamin packed soup. I added a tablespoon of Greek yogurt to mine and swirled it to make the soup extra creamy then sprinkled a sesame seeds on top for crunch. Enjoy!
Join 10k subscribers & get insider health tips!
Get my FREE eBOOK Achieve Your New Healthy Life + A BONUS discount when you join!
- 5 cups butternut squash, diced (you can also used canned)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled & chopped roughly
- ½ cup white onion, diced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups gluten free, low sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- salt & pepper to taste
- Optional Toppings: nonfat Greek yogurt & sesame seeds
- Preheat oven 425 degrees
- Place carrots, butternut squash (if not using canned) & sweet potato on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper & spray with nonstick cooking spray
- Roast veggies 40 minutes until tender
- Remove veggies from the oven & place in a blender or food processor with almond milk
- Puree the veggies until smooth
- Heat a large pot over medium heat
- Add extra virgin olive oil, garlic, ginger & onions
- Saute a few minutes until onions are tender
- Add veggie puree, vegetable broth & spices to the pot
- Bring to a boil then cover & simmer for 20 minutes
- Serve immediately with optional toppings as desired
- Refrigerate up to one week or freeze up to a month
What I Used For The Recipe
Do you like hot food when it’s hot outside? What’s one odd thing about your state?