Blueberry Protein Smoothie made with zucchini! High protein, high in Vitamin C and antioxidants. An on the go smoothie, perfect for breakfast and a great way to sneak in vegetables! Gluten Free + Vegan + Paleo option
This Blueberry Zucchini Protein Smoothie was originally published July 2016. I have retested, rephotographed and updated the recipe for you. Hope you enjoy it!
It's time for another smoothie!
June is definitely smoothie month for me. It's just too hot in Arizona to eat a lot of food this time of year. In fact, I've been having smoothies for dinner lately because I don't have to turn on the oven during the hottest time of day. Turning on the blender is a much better way to stay cool!
Blueberry Protein Smoothie
This Blueberry Protein Smoothie I'm positive you're going to love. It's become my new daily smoothie. You could say I've become a little obsessed with it, so don't be surprised if you see these ingredients popping up in a future muffin or pancake.
This smoothie is a nutrition powerhouse and has a secret ingredient I recently discovered thanks to Erin. ZUCCHINI!!! Have you tried it? Holly banana balls! I already love zucchini, but zucchini in a smoothie has made me love it a trillion times more. It adds depth and body without any weird flavors.
Let's break it down and see what's in this bad boy blueberry zucchini protein smoothie!
- Blueberries - Antioxidant nutrients that protect the whole body from oxidative stress. New research is showing that blueberries can repair muscle damage from exercise. Blueberries are also shown to improve memory.
- Spinach - Rich in folate, iron, zinc, vitamins A, C, K & B-complex. This fresh leafy green is recognized for its antioxidant and anti-cancer composition.
- Zucchini - High source of potassium which many people are deficient in. Have anti-inflammatory properties from pectin which is a very specific carbohydrate that's been linked to reducing cardiovascular disease and disease-causing inflammation. Research is now showing anti-inflammatory vegetables like zucchini improve GI related symptoms.
- Protein - Building blocks of bones, muscles, skin, hair, nails, and needed to make hormones and enzymes.
What You Need
The zucchini is flavorless and will add moisture to the smoothie. This means it will absorb the natural sweetness from the blueberries a bit. The majority of people are addicted to sugar (even healthy eaters). This means your tastes buds may expect something sweeter than those who cut sugar from their diet.
In Master Your Cravings I teach a simple way to eat to reset your hormones and taste buds!
Adding an organic stevia will brighten up the flavor and that's how I make mine. A touch of honey or coconut sugar may also be added. Keep in mind this will increase the carbohydrate and sugar nutrition values. Use an app like MyFitness Pal or LoseIT to calculate changes you make!
Serve with a titanium straw like this one to keep your smoothie chilled on the way to your mouth. My Mom bought me them and I'm obsessed!
More Smoothies To Enjoy!
Let's get smoothie making!
Superfood Blueberry Protein Smoothie
- Add all ingredients except shredded coconut to a blender and combine until smooth.
- Transfer to a glass, add shredded coconut and enjoy!
What I Used For The Recipe