Blackberry Quinoa Muffins made with creamy Greek yogurt, sweetened with orange juice and bursting with fresh berries. A light and fit double protein packed snack! Gluten Free + Low Calorie
What's everyone doing this weekend? I don't have specific plans, but I'm sort of a commitment phoebe when it comes to planning things with other people. Shh...don't tell anyone that! I'm not sure why that is.
Maybe because my entire life has been so overly structured with boundaries that now I'm rebelling against any type of routine. What can I say? I like being able to do what I want, when I want and not feeling rushed or forced into something I don't fully support.
That also leaves more flexibility for cooking and baking because you just never know when inspiration will strike. You have to be muffin and camera ready at all times at my house, and these Blackberry Quinoa Muffins are of no exception. As a matter of fact, that's exactly how they came to be.
After making Tropical Smoothie Breakfast Pizza last week, I had tons of leftover fruit to play with. I was about to make Strawberry Greek Yogurt Muffins when I realized, I was out of strawberries. I was also out raspberries because I used them for those Chocolate Raspberry Quinoa Brownies.
OMG, it sounds like I've been living off treats for weeks. I promise I've been eating plenty of regular food too!
Anyhow...that's how Blackberry Quinoa Muffins came to be. On a total whim. Personally, I think some of my best recipes have come about that way.
This Blackberry Quinoa Muffin recipe is based on those Strawberry Greek Yogurt Muffins. I simply swapped the oat flour for quinoa flour so you get double the protein in these goodies. YAY! But feel free to use oat flour if you're not a quinoa fan. Another addition I made was orange juice and orange extract. The citrus brightens the tart berries and really makes them pop. Not to mention, you get an extra boost of vitamin C which is most of us need during the long, dog days of summer when our bodies are taxed and worn down.
Speaking of worn down, now don't wear yourself down this weekend. Get plenty of rest, eat plenty of good food and bake one or two treats for yourself. Mmk?
Blackberry Quinoa Muffins
- Preheat 400 F and prepare a muffin tin with liners or nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, applesauce, Greek yogurt, honey, orange juice, orange extract until smooth. In a small bowl, sift together baking soda and flour.
- Slowly fold the flour into the wet ingredients. Stir to combine, but do not over mix. Next fold the blackberries into the batter. Transfer to the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake 25 minutes at 400 F. Remove from oven and cool in the pan 3-4 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer for a yummy snack.