A simple wholesome chocolate chip muffin turned healthy. These Chocolate Chip Butternut Squash Muffins are made with bananas, squash and whole grain oats. A healthy, gluten free treat everyone loves!
Chocolate Chip Butternut Squash Muffins are going to brighten your day friends!
I hope you guys had a great weekend. Money. Money. Money. That was my word last week and what I "spent" my weekend figuring out. I bit the bullet and met with an accountant to do my taxes. Usually I do my own taxes. I'm one of those weirdos who actually enjoys running the numbers and figuring out where I'm at with everything.
I should've been a number cruncher. Now that I have the blog, started my own LLC and making side income I needed expert advice on how to handle things. I'm infringing on territory I'm not comfortable with nor have the time to figure out. Best to seek expert help.
I feel like I'm bleeding money lately. Last week I received my first bill from Mayo Clinic. $4,000 in medical bills for my December and part of January. It really irks me I'm paying for the doctors who mis-diagnosed me.
They should be paying me for my time and suffering and not doing their job. The scary thing is this is just the beginning of the bills. I'm now seeing an occupational therapist for my tennis elbow.
I finally see an arm doctor Wednesday. It's only taken me 6 weeks for me to get in to see him. I can't imagine what the arm therapy, endocrinology, hormone tests and physical therapy for my leg is gonna cost me.
By the way, with all the tests no one's come up with a real diagnosis for my missing estrogen. It's just missing they say. How can they charge you for not giving you a diagnosis? I can see why people go broke
crazy from medical expenses. The Health Care system is seriously messed up.
Last week my car also clunked out. The day after Mom left. 3 days in the shop and $2,300 later I had my wheels back. I cringed when I heard the price to fix the engine. My car's 11 years old and just under 100k miles. I know I'll get at least another 50k miles out of it before it dies. It's a great car and I've put almost no money into fixing it until now.
Out of curiosity I looked up the bluebook value. It equals the same amount of money I just dumped into it to fix it. I have no choice now but to keep it until it dies. With all the driving I do, I better figure out something sooner than later. I hate buying cars. There's gotta be another way to buy a vehicle than dealing with a car dealership. I always feel like I'm getting ripped off.
I hope this week is less exciting for me than last and less expensive too. I'm feeling drained by the unexpected things life keeps throwing at me and what it's costing me. I mean come on...I'm trying to recover from multiple injuries, my body is screwed up with hormonal imbalances can someone give me a break...PALEEZZZEE?
But enough about my financial woes because I have something so delicious for you guys today it will make you forget all your worries. I read a quote by Hippocrates recently "let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." I couldn't agree more with this. Food really does have healing powers.
My word this week. Love. I'm in love and not with my gym stalker. I've fallen in love with a new muffin. Chocolate Chip Butternut Squash Muffins! I knew when I tasted the batter they were gonna be terribly good. They're wholesome and hearty you don't even know they have a veggie stashed in them. Sneaky. They were also Mom's favorites.
I'm not sure I could ever pick a favorite muffin although these still have a piece of my heart. I guess I can have multiple loves, but for right now these Chocolate Chip Butternut Squash Muffins are my love muffins. Hope you love it!
Healthy Butternut Squash Muffins with Chocolate Chips
- 2 bananas very ripe, mashed
- ½ cup butternut squash puree
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup coconut oil melted
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup Gluten Free 1:1 Baking Flour
- ⅔ cup Gluten Free Oat Flour
- ¾ cup Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips dairy free
- Preheat oven 375 F. Prepare a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a food processor or blender, add bananas, egg whites, coconut oil, maple syrup and butternut squash. Process until wet ingredients are smooth.
- Next add the 2 flours, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt to the food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
- Transfer the ingredients to a mixing bowl. Add the oats and chocolate chips and fold into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cavities 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan 5 minute before transferring to a baking rack to cool another 15 minutes before eating.
- Store muffins in the refrigerator up to 1 week or freezer up to 60 days.
- My Amazon shop has more products similar to those used for this recipe and that I recommend to my nutrition clients.
- Transfer your muffins to a cooling rack after cooling for five minutes in the pan after removing them from the oven. This will prevent tough or overcooked muffins.
- Don't like chocolate chips? You can swap them for dried cranberries or raisins instead.
- Use muffin liners or spray your pan well. Both of these options are ideal to prevent sticking.
- Sprinkle some chocolate chips on top of the muffins right before baking if you want the chocolate chips more visible.
- Make sure you measure your flour properly to avoid tough or dry muffins.