Healthy Quiche Lorraine is made crustless and replaces cauliflower the cream for a low calorie quiche Lorraine that's healthy and tasty! Gluten Free + Low Calorie + Paleo + Low Carb
I love a good quiche recipe for meal prepping or weekend brunching, especially one that's higher in protein like and made with healthy, yummy ingredients!
This Healthy Quiche Lorraine has all the right players and more, but before we talk about this recipe you may be wondering what Quiche Lorraine is.
Quiche Lorraine is a popular quiche named after the region of France called Lorraine. It's traditionally made with eggs, heavy cream and bacon. Over the years, it's evolved and many began adding cheese to this classic French breakfast!
Healthy Quiche Lorraine
This Healthy Quiche Lorraine has all the rich flavors of the traditional version only it's lighter, higher in protein (key for weight loss!) and made crustless.
It omits the heavy cream and replaces it with boiled cauliflower. Boiled cauliflower blended with milk makes a super thick and creamy sauce. The consistency is similar to heavy cream, but without the calories and more nutritious!
I've used this trick in several recipes on this website as well as in my cookbook. It's a simple and easy swap to make to your recipes and I promise you will not taste cauliflower at all!
This recipe uses turkey bacon to make it lighter as well as egg whites. I love using whole eggs. While whole eggs are very nutritious, they still are a fat and should be balanced properly with protein which we get from the egg white. Omitting the egg whites means less protein and higher calorie per serving. Combining both egg whites and whole eggs yields a more nutritious quiche!
What You Need
- Egg Whites
- Turkey Bacon
- Green Onion
- Garlic Powder
- Parmesan or Gruyere cheese
- Salt, Pepper
How to Replace Cream in Quiche Lorraine
Cauliflower is the perfect replacement for heavy cream. Start by boiling the cauliflower in a large pot filled with water. Depending on the size of your cauliflower, it will take 10-15 minutes to boil the cauliflower.
Drain the cauliflower then set aside to cool to room temperature. Once it has cooled, blend the cauliflower with milk. It will be super thick and creamy and much more nutritious than heavy cream!
How to Make Crustless Quiche Lorraine
While you're making the cauliflower, cook the turkey bacon. Once cooked, removed from the stove and transfer to a cutting board. Whisk together the eggs, egg whites, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
After blending the cauliflower mix it in with the egg mixture with the cheese. Chop the turkey bacon and green onions then cover the egg mixture with them.
Bake at 350 F 40-45 minutes until the center is set. Let your quiche sit at room temperature a few minutes to set before slicing and serving!
Recipe Substitutions for Quiche Lorraine
- Turkey Bacon - you can use pork bacon, chicken sausage or ham. Keep in mind this will increase the calories per serving.
- Egg Whites - you can sub whole eggs for the egg whites in the recipe. It's always a 2:1 ratio egg whites to whole eggs in recipes. This will also increase the amount of calories per serving.
- Milk - Any real milk or dairy free milk you enjoy will work in this recipe.
- Cheese - Any cheese will work. The white cheeses make it taste richer. If you are dairy free, you can omit the cheese or use nutritional yeast.
- Crust - If you would like to make your Quiche Lorraine with a crust, this low calorie pie crust would work and be delicious!
Healthy Quiche Lorraine
- Place cauiflower in a pot and cover with water then bring the pot to a boil. Boil 15 minutes or until the cauliflower is very soft. Cutting the cauliflower smaller will allow it to boil faster.
- While the cauliflower boils, cook the turkey bacon in a skillet according to package instructions. Remove the turkey bacon from the heat and transfer to a cutting board to cool.
- Drain the cauliflower and set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prepare a 9-inch pie dish by spraying with avocado oil.
- Check the cauliflower to ensure it's room temperature. It is very important the cauliflower is at room temperature before mixing it with eggs. Once it is at room temperature, transfer it to a blender with the milk and blend on high until smooth.
- Transfer the cauliflower mixture to the mixing bowl with the eggs and fold it together with the cheese. Chop the turkey bacon and green onion then transfer the egg mixture to the baking dish and top with the turkey bacon and green onion.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until the quiche is fully set in the center. Remove from the oven, cool 5 minutes at room temperature before slicing into 6 slices and eating.
- Leftovers can be stored up to 5 days in the refrigerator. You can prepare this quiche ahead of time as well, place in the refrigerator overnight and bake the next day!
- My Amazon shop has more products similar to those used for this recipe and that I recommend to my weight loss clients.
- If you love this recipe, check out my cookbook for more delicious recipes.
- You can replace the egg whites with 4 whole eggs, however, please note this will significantly increase the calories per serving and reduce the protein.