Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread made low calorie with no added sugar or oil. A lighter and healthier zucchini bread that's gluten free, dairy free, moist, creamy and delicious! Gluten Free + Low Calorie
Healthy Zucchini Bread is by far my favorite one of my favorite veggie-loaded treats to bake! It's the perfect way to jump into warm weather season (it's one of my 25 genius ways to use zucchini!).
This Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe is from 2015 and I've given it a much needed face lift for you to see how gorgeous it really is!
I think this bread disappeared in my house after three days. Each bite is insanely delicious with its luscious creaminess and bursts of chocolate in every bite. It's also gluten free, dairy free, made with no added oil or sugar and low in calories. You won't believe this zucchini bread is healthy until you try it!
What Makes This Zucchini Bread Healthy?
Here's a few more reasons why I love this chocolate zucchini bread recipe from a nutritional standpoint!
- Low Calorie - Calories are not everything. I talk about this in my hormonal weight loss class. A 400 calorie donut does not have the same effect on the body as a 400 calorie nutrient dense meal. This low calorie zucchini bread has 115 calories per slice, is filled with nutrient dense ingredients and made with no added sugar.
- No Added Sugar - This recipe is naturally sweetened with applesauce, cinnamon, chocolate chips and the almond extract also gives the bread a boost of flavor that vanilla extract can never do. There are options for adding sugar if you choose to under the substitutions.
- Higer Protein - Each slice of this bread has 4.7 grams of protein which is really good for a baked good. This comes from the two eggs whites which are lean protein.
- Lower Fat - This recipe has no oil added to it and is only 3.5 grams of total fat per slice. The chocolate zucchini bread is moist from the zucchini and the oat flour holds it together.
Ingredients For Healthy Zucchini Bread
- Egg Whites
- Applesauce, unsweetened
- Almond Extract or vanilla
- Gluten Free Oat Flour
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Cinnamon, Salt
- Mini Chocolate Chips, dairy free
How To Make Zucchini Bread Low Calorie and Gluten Free
Making this healthier zucchini bread recipe is simple and anyone can do it. More importantly, anyone will love this zucchini bread and it's versatile.
First, shred your zucchini. I recommend chopping the zucchini into chunks then shredding it by pulsing it a few times in a blender or food processor. You do not need to remove the skin for this recipe and you do not need to squeeze out any excess liquid. The shredded zucchini should equal about 1 cup.
Prepare a loaf pan with parchment paper. I always find this easier for removal without damaging the bread. Next mix together the eggs, applesauce, almond extract and salt. If using honey, you can mix it here.
In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Then fold the dry mixture into the wet mixture. Last fold in the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips.
Transfer the batter to your prepared loaf pan then bake 50-55 minutes in the oven. Once a toothpick can be removed clean from the center, your bread is done. Remove it from the oven and cool at room temperature before slicing into 10 slices and serving.
How To Store Zucchini Bread
Ensure your bread is fully cooled to room temperature before storing. I recommend wrapping the bread in plastic wrap to retain the moisture then storing in a container in the refrigerator up to 10 days. You can also store zucchini bread in a freezer the same way up to 60 days.
Substitutions For Healthy Zucchini Bread
Here's a few substitutions you can make for this healthy chocolate zucchini bread recipe. Please remember that any substitutions you make will alter the nutritional values you see below.
- Gluten Free Oat Flour - Rolled oats can be used to blend into oat flour. You do not need to use gluten free unless that is your preference. I have not tested this recipe with almond flour, but I suspect it will work. I recommend using 1 cup of almond flour. Coconut flour will not work with this recipe and I never bake with white or whole wheat flours so I cannot state whether those substitutions will work.
- Applesauce - Pumpkin puree, yogurt or olive oil can be used as a replacement.
- Egg Whites - Replace with one whole egg. I don't recommend swapping the two eggs whites for a whole egg as it decreases the protein and increases the calorie content of the bread.
- Almond Extract - Can be replaced with vanilla extract.
- Cinnamon - You can omit or replace with nutmeg.
- Chocolate Chips - You can omit them if you like.
- Honey - I found this recipe had plenty of natural sweetness, but I also do not like things overly sweet. If you prefer things sweeter, then you can add the honey or monkfruit zero calorie liquid sweetener.
Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare a 8x4 loaf pan with parchment paper allowing the sides to hang over the edges of the pan for easy bread removal.
- Shred the zucchini by pulsing a few times in a blender or food processor. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, applesauce, salt and almond extract. If adding optional honey, you will mix that in here.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Fold the flour mixture into the liquid mixture. Do not over mix. Next fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips into the batter. Transfer the batter to the prepare loaf pan and smooth into an even layer.
- Bake 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick removes clean from the center.
- Remove the bread from the oven and cool 1 hour in the pan before removing, slicing and enjoying!
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator up to 10 days or in the freezer up to 60 days.