Healthy Cauliflower Au Gratin is a high protein, low calorie and gluten free recipe. Made easy in a single skillet and surprisingly delicious! Low Calorie + Gluten Free
Au gratins are traditional favorites during the fall and holiday season. Every year I make sweet potato au gratin and turmeric cauliflower broccoli au gratin. They have been my go to recipes for years and never fail to taste delicious!
But... sometimes you just want to switch up the routine and try something new and this Healthy Cauliflower Au Gratin does not disappoint. It may sound weird to you at first, but I guarantee it'll make you love cauliflower even if it's not your thing!
Why This Cauliflower Au Gratin Is Better For You
I love a good roasted vegetable and I find my weight loss clients are always more prone to eating more vegetables when they roast them. This recipe combines the cheese-y flavor of traditional au gratin by substituting the heavy cream with Greek yogurt.
Greek yogurt is a healthier way to make au gratin. It boosts the protein of the recipe while reducing the calories from fat that comes from heavy cream. This healthy au gratin recipe uses cauliflower instead of potatoes making it more non-starchy vegetable centric. Non-starchy vegetables are naturally lower in calories and filled with water and nutrients!
Starchy vegetables have their place in a healthy diet or weight loss diet, but they always need to be balanced with plenty of non-starchy vegetables!
Ingredients For Healthy Cauliflower Au Gratin
- Cauliflower head (any color)
- Greek yogurt
- Salt, Pepper
- Parsley for serving (optional)
How To Make Cauliflower Au Gratin Healthy
Step one to making healthy cauliflower au gratin is to cut the cauliflower from the head and discard the stem and leaves. Preheat over to 350 F then place the cauliflower in an oven safe pan or cast iron skillet. Drizzle one tablespoon of the olive oil over the cauliflower, add salt and pepper then bake 25 minutes or until the florets are soft.
Step two is heating a small skillet to medium heat then adding the remaining olive oil, onions and garlic. Sauté them in the pan until they're translucent then transfer them to a mixing bowl along with the Greek yogurt, thyme and oregano.
Step three is removing the cauliflower from the oven. Allow the cauliflower to cool to room temperature then add it to the mixing and stir to combine with the remaining ingredients.
Step four to making cauliflower au gratin is adding the contents of the mixing bowl back into the pan, sprinkle the cheese on top then warming in the oven for 10 minutes before serving!
Substitutions For Cauliflower Au Gratin
Here are some common substitutions you can make for cauliflower au gratin. Keep in mind that making substitutions to a recipe will change the nutritional values of the recipe and potentially, the taste.
- Cauliflower - This wouldn't be a cauliflower au gratin without the cauliflower BUT that said if you need to swap the cauliflower, broccoli, potatoes or Brussels sprouts is what I recommend.
- Greek Yogurt - Use a dairy free yogurt like plain almond or coconut yogurt. These yogurts may not be as thick so I recommend you add one to two tablespoons of tapioca flour or arrowroot powder to help thicken the recipe.
- Parmesan - Use a dairy free cheese option or substitute nutritional yeast.
What To Serve With Au Gratin
Healthy Cauliflower Au Gratin
- Preheat over to 350 F. Wash the cauliflower then cut the florets from the head. Discard the stem and leaves. Place the cauliflower in an oven safe pan or cast iron skillet. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over the cauliflower, add salt and pepper then bake 25 minutes or until the florets are soft.
- While the cauliflower bakes, heat a small skillet to medium heat on the stove with the remainining tablespoon of olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook 3-4 minutes until onion is opaque. Reduce the heat then transfer the ingredients from the skillet into a mixing bowl along with the Greek yogurt, oregano and thyme.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven and cool 5 minutes then add the cauliflower to the mixing bowl. Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Transfer the contents of the mixing bowl into the skillet and sprinkle the parmesan on top. Return the pan to the oven for 10 minutes to heat through until the mixture is bubbly. Remove from the oven and serve!