Tex-Mex Avocado Egg Muffins! Made with salsa and avocado, these egg cups make a nutritious low carb breakfast. Easy to make ahead of time and warm up on the go! Low Carb + Paleo + Gluten Free + Low Calorie
I always tell my early morning spin class that working out is the best way to start your day. I used to workout in the evenings until I was forced to workout in the early morning due to my corporate consulting job years ago. At first, I hate it. Then I LOVED it!
When you start your day in a healthy way, it sets a healthy tone for the entire day. It's also my time to relax, focus and de-stress.
I really believe this philosophy to be true about food too. When you start your day eating a bunch of crap, it just goes downhill from there. But if you start your day with enough protein, healthy fat and vegetables, you have more stable energy. No sugar crashes which means you make better choices the rest of the day.
What's a good example of enough protein, healthy fat and vegetables to start your day? These Tex-Mex Avocado Egg Muffins! Add a side of veggies (they're FREE in my book) and you've got breakfast. Just hand me my coffee!
What's great about these egg muffins is you can make them ahead of time. Easy to grab, warm up and go during the week! They also freeze well so you can make a bunch at once. Huge timesaver! And, while you're in the kitchen here's just a few other egg muffin recipes for you to try!
Tex-Mex Avocado Egg Muffins
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease 10 muffin cavities of a muffin pan or spray liberally with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, eggs whites, milk, cumin, cilantro, pepper, salt and salsa.
- Transfer to a 2 cup measuring cup then pour into each cavity 3/4 of the way full. Place one tablespoon of diced avocado on top of each muffin cavities.
- Bake at 22-25 minutes until muffins are set. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan 5 minutes prior to removing with a mini spatula and transferring to a wire cooling rack.
- Store in the refrigerator up to 7 days in an airtight container.