Healthy Low Carb Lemon Poppy Seed Bread made gluten free, with a boost of protein and sweetened with honey is a delicious, healthier snack! It's made easy in one bowl and Paleo friendly! Low Carb + Gluten Free + Paleo + Low Calorie
If you're looking for the best, most delicious lemon poppy seed bread, this recipe is for you!
Traditional lemon poppy seed breads are made high in oil, sugar and refined flour. They're also higher in calories and they're not nutritionally balanced. This makes them easier to over desire and overeat.
Trust me when I say this low carb lemon poppy seed bread tastes just as indulgent as the loaf you eye up at Starbucks, but this version is more nutritious, lower in carbs and more calorie conscious!
What Makes This Lemon Poppy Seed Bread Healthy and Better for You?
Traditional lemon poppy seed breads are made with extra oil, butter and refined flours and refined sugars with a much higher content of sugar. I gave this goodie a makeover with simple ingredient swaps to make it the BEST Low Carb Poppy Seed Bread ever!
- Low Carb - Carbs are not bad, however, it's important to be conscious of the type of carbs you eat along with how much you eat. Baked goods high in fat and high in carbs are easy for you to over consume. This recipe has just 15 grams of carbs per serving and is better balanced nutritionally overall!
- Gluten Free - This bread is naturally gluten free thanks to the combo of almond flour and coconut flour.
- Dairy Free - This recipe is 100% dairy free. You can swap dairy milk if you want. See the section below on substitutions.
- Healthy Fats - The almond flour, olive oil and coconut flour are good sources of healthy fats. Healthy fats keep you fuller longer than baked goods made with white or whole wheat flours.
- Higher Fiber - There's 4 grams of fiber per serving! Fiber is so important for health and weight management. I talk about the importance of fiber in this free class.
- Higher Protein - The egg whites, almond flour and coconut flour give this lemon poppy seed bread a boost of protein!
Ingredients To Make Low Carb Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
Here's what you need to make this almond flour lemon poppy seed bread! You'll also need a loaf pan and mixing bowl!
- Whole Eggs + Egg Whites: The egg whites add the right amount of fluffiness while increasing the protein content. I do not recommend subbing the egg whites with whole eggs.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Honey: This bread is sweetened with a touch of honey.
- Almond Milk
- Lemon Juice
- Poppy Seeds: What's a poppy seed bread without the poppy seeds? See below for substitution recommendations!
- Almond Flour + Coconut Flour: The flours are naturally gluten free, but are also balancing the baked good by adding healthy fat, protein and fiber. Those nutrients will make you fuller and make for a healthier balanced food.
- Baking Powder + Salt: For proper baking.
- Lemon Zest + Powdered Sugar: For the lemon glaze!
How To Make The Best Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
The best part of this bread is you only need one mixing bowl! It's very easy to throw together for a healthier snack or treat. If this version doesn't work for you, this lemon poppy seed muffin recipe made with oats and yogurt is a great alternative!
- Preheat the oven and prepare a loaf pan. I recommend lining with parchment paper to make it easy to remove!
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients by whisking in the eggs first. Then add the honey, oil, lemon juice, zest and milk until the batter is smooth.
- Bake it next! Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth into an even layer. Bake 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick can be removed from the center clean.
- Cool the bread at room temperature. While the bread cools, mix together the drizzle by mixing the lemon juice and powdered sugar until you reach the desired thickness. You may need to add more or less of the ingredients to reach your desired thickness. I found one-for-one worked best for me.
- Drizzle the bread then store in the refrigerator for 10 minutes before slicing and enjoying!
Can I Use A Different Flour?
The almond flour and coconut flour make a great low carb, gluten free and delicious combination for baked goods. If you don't have those flours or would like to use something else, I would not recommend subbing them.
It would require a new recipe. You can alternatively, use this lemon poppy seed recipe made with oats and you can also sub gluten free flour in that recipe! See the section below on substitutions for more substitute recommendations.
Storing and Freezing Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- To Store: Keep the lemon poppy seed bread in a container or wrap in foil or plastic wrap. It will keep up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- To Freeze: This healthy lemon poppy seed loaf freezes up to 3 months. Wrap in plastic wrap or foil and store in a reusable bag. You can also freeze it without the drizzle then add it once you thaw the bread.
Recipe Substitutions for Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
Here's the substitutions I recommend for this healthy poppy seed bread recipe. Remember when you substitute or change ingredients, it does change the nutritional values from what you see in the recipe card below.
- Flours - The flours cannot be substituted. This lemon poppy seed recipe uses oats instead and you can also substitute the oats for gluten free baking flour in that recipe.
- Almond Milk - You can use any milk for this recipe.
- Poppy Seeds - Chia seeds can be used instead.
- Olive Oil - Avocado oil or coconut oil may be substituted.
- Honey - You can use a monk fruit liquid substitute or maple syrup instead.
- Egg Whites - I do not recommend substituting the egg whites with whole eggs.
More Delicious Healthy Bread Recipes
- Healthy Chocolate Banana Oat Bread
- Healthy Cauliflower Bread
- Healthy Strawberry Banana Bread
- Healthy Pumpkin Bread
Low Carb Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
For the Drizzle
- 2-3 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1-2 tbsp Powdered Sugar
- Preheat the oven 350 F. Line with parchment paper or grease an 8-inch by 4-inch loaf pan and set aside for later.
- In a large bowl whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, and poppy seeds until combined.
- Stir in the eggs and egg whites until combined. Mix in the oil, honey, almond milk, lemon juice, and zest and mix well until no lumps remain and thick batter forms.
- Pour the batter into the lined/grease loaf tin. Place in the middle of your preheated oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the drizzle. If the drizzle is too thick, add more lemon juice until you achieve the desired thickness. When the loaf has cooled fully, remove it from the pan and transfer to a wire baking rack. Place the drizzle over the top and let it set for 10 minutes before slicing and enjoying.
- Keep the bread in the refrigerator up to 5 days.