Italian Chicken Stuffed Peppers are a simple low calorie dinner to make! A delicious and hearty mixture of chicken, rice, pizza sauce and seasonings. These peppers are great for meal prep and reheat perfectly. Low Calorie + Gluten Free
These Italian Chicken Stuffed Peppers will make your low calorie dinner dreams come true! Stuffed with ground chicken breast, brown rice, pizza sauce, Italian seasonings and cheese, it's seriously the BEST.
A simple recipe your family will enjoy! The best part is they'll think you spent hours making these fancy, healthy stuffed peppers.
Healthy Stuffed Peppers
These Italian bell peppers are stuffed with lean ground chicken breast. Any ground meat can be used in the recipe. Ground turkey breast is an easy swap, just remember if you use ground beef that this will increase the calorie content and you'll need to recalculate the nutrition data.
We love adding brown rice to make this a higher fiber (so important for weight loss and maintaining hunger hormones) meal, but you could omit the rice for a low carb meal and/or substitute cauliflower rice.
Keep in mind I'm using SUGAR FREE pizza sauce in this recipe. Avoiding added sugar is one of my biggest tips for living a fat loss lifestyle. It's very common for pizza sauce to have a lot of sugar added to them so check the label before buying!
What You Need
- Casserole Dish
- Bell Peppers
- Ground Chicken Breast
- Brown Rice or Quinoa
- Pizza Sauce, sugar free
- Italian Seasoning
- Salt, Pepper
- Mozzarella Cheese (or nutritional yeast for dairy free)
How To Make Stuffed Peppers
Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Place the peppers in a 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish face up. Preheat your oven to 375.Cook the brown rice according to package instructions.
Cook the brown rice according to package instructions then set aside.
Once the chicken is browned, stir in the pizza sauce, Italian seasoning, oregano and crushed red pepper flakes and cook 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the brown rice.
Spoon the mixture into the peppers and sprinkle the cheese evenly on top of each pepper.
Pour 1/2 cup of water into the bottom of the dish then bake in the oven 25 minutes or until the peppers are soft.
How To Meal Prep Stuffed Peppers
You can prep everything right up to the baking step ahead of time to have a quick dinner to throw together in the oven!
With all the prep and stovetop cooking done ahead of time, you can stuff the peppers, cover the baking dish and put it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake. Don’t pour the water into the dish until right before baking.
I hope you’re ready for a seriously delicious dinner. Enjoy!
Italian Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- 2 bell peppers I recommend large peppers for this
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup pizza sauce sugar free
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup low moisture mozzarella shredded
- Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Place the peppers in a 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish face up. Preheat your oven to 375.
- Cook the brown rice according to package instructions.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the extra virgin olive oil. Add the onion and cook until translucent, then add the ground chicken. Break up the chicken as it cooks.
- Once the chicken is browned, stir in the pizza sauce, Italian seasoning, oregano and crushed red pepper flakes and cook 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the brown rice.
- Spoon the mixture into the peppers and sprinkle the cheese evenly on top of each pepper.
- Pour 1/2 cup of water into the bottom of the dish then bake in the oven 25 minutes or until the peppers are soft.