This Healthy Chicken Gnocchi Skillet is an easy meal that is low calorie. Made with simple ingredients, the chicken and gnocchi is cooked in a creamy sauce and packed with vegetables. A delicious 30-minute meal that's family approved! Gluten Free + Low Calorie
It's time to share with you one of my favorite low calorie, comfort meals - Healthy Chicken Gnocchi Skillet!
And if you're thinking I can't eat gnocchi because it has too many carbs, you're wrong! Carbs in themselves do not make you fat (eating too many calories does!) and healthy carbs like potato gnocchi are satiating and filling.
Also, when you enjoy filling and satiating meals and you stop restricting foods to lose weight you will have better control around foods and stop the binge and restrict cycle that most women get into.
This gnocchi skillet meal is a healthier dinner recipe that's better balanced in nutrition and made lower in calories for you!
Why This Low Calorie Chicken Gnocchi Is Healthy and Better For You
In addition to being delicious, this healthy chicken gnocchi skillet is also nutritious. Here's why!
- High Protein - This recipe has 32 grams of protein which is an ideal amount for a meal for most females.
- High Fiber - This recipe has 5 grams of fiber per serving. High fiber is always best!
- Low Calorie - There are 444 calories per serving which is considered low calorie and it's a high volume of food!
- Low Fat -This recipe is low in saturated fat. The remaining fat is healthy fat!
- Gluten Free - This recipe is gluten free as long as you use gluten free potato gnocchi.
- Easy - All the ingredients are very simple and easy to find at grocery stores!
Ingredients For Healthy Chicken Gnocchi
Here's what you need to make this lower calorie chicken gnocchi! You will also need a large skillet to cook the meal in.
- Chicken Breast (I use ButcherBox organic pasture-raised chicken)
- Potato Gnocchi
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Yellow Onion
- Red Chili Flakes
- Italian Seasoning
- Chicken Broth, low sodium
- Half and Half
- Salt and Pepper
How To Make Low Calorie Chicken Gnocchi In A Skillet
Step One - Bring a large skillet to medium heat on the stovetop with the olive oil. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the pieces of chicken. Cook the chicken in the pan 4-5 minutes until fully cooked and browned. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
Step Two - While the chicken cooks, cook the gnocchi according to the package instructions.
Step Three - Add the garlic, onion, mushrooms, Italian seasoning, paprika and red chili flakes to the pan. Saute until the vegetables are translucent.
Step Four - Add the chicken broth to the skillet and whisk the broth as you pour in the half and half. Continue whisking until the sauce thickens.
Step Five - Add the spinach and gnocchi to the skillet. Cook 3-4 minutes until the spinach wilts down. Add the chicken back to the pan. Add more salt and pepper to taste then serve warm garnished with parsley.
How To Make Gluten Free Chicken Gnocchi
I used a gluten free potato gnocchi to make this recipe gluten friendly. This one is the brand I used. This is another good gluten free option. There are quite a few grocery stores that carry gluten free gnocchi options these days, or you can grab them online.
Trader Joe's cauliflower gnocchi is a good option. Regardless of the option you choose, be sure to follow the package instructions for cooking the gnocchi.
If you are not gluten free, you can use any gnocchi!
Serving and Storing Healthy Chicken Gnocchi Skillet
- Storing - To store, ensure the dish is completed cooled first. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
- Freezing - You can freeze this gluten free chicken gnocchi skillet dish by cooling completely then storing in an airtight container or plastic storage bag up to 60 days.
- Reheating - You can reheat this gnocchi skillet meal on the stovetop, in the oven or in the microwave. For the oven, reheat at 300 F in an oven safe dish about 10-15 minutes. For the stovetop, add the meal to a skillet and warm on medium heat until heated through. For the microwave, cook on high 2-3 minutes. For any of the reheating methods, add 1-2 tablespoons of water to the meal first.
Substitutions For Healthy Chicken Gnocchi
Here are the substitutions I recommend for this healthy chicken gnocchi recipe. Remember that when you make substitutions, it will change the nutritional data from what you see in the recipe card below!
- Chicken Breast - Chicken thighs are delicious in this recipe! You could also sub steak, shrimp, salmon, shredded turkey breast or chicken breast, cod, tempeh or tofu.
- Half & Half - You can substitute dairy free milk and add in 1-2 tablespoons of arrowroot powder or cornstarch to make a slurry. You could also substitute light coconut milk from the can.
- Chicken Broth - I used low sodium broth. You can use bone broth or vegetable broth instead.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - You can substitute avocado oil or another cooking oil.
- Potato Gnocchi - I used a gluten free potato gnocchi. This one is the brand I used. This is another good gluten free option. Trader Joe's cauliflower gnocchi is a good option. If you are not gluten free, you can use any gnocchi!
- Veggies - You can substitute any of the veggies to your liking. This recipe is very versatile!
- Dairy Free - Replace the half and half per the instructions above.
- Gluten Free - Use gluten free potato gnocchi per the recommendations above. If you're not gluten free, then you can choose any gnocchi.
More Easy & Healthy Skillet Meals You Will Love
- Healthy Turkey Skillet Burrito
- Healthy Shrimp Fried Rice
- Healthy Taco Pasta
- Healthy Beef Cabbage Bowls
- Healthy Egg Roll In A Bowl
Healthy Chicken Gnocchi Skillet
- 1 lb Chicken Breast cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 lb Potato Gnocchi gluten free as needed
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cups Spinach fresh
- 1 cup Yellow Onion diced
- 2/3 cup Mushrooms diced
- 1/4 cup Garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 cup Chicken Broth low sodium
- 1/2 cup Half and Half low fat
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Parsley For Garnish
- Bring a large skillet to medium heat on the stovetop with the olive oil. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the pieces of chicken. Cook the chicken in the pan 4-5 minutes until fully cooked and browned. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- While the chicken cooks, cook the gnocchi according to the package instructions.
- Add the garlic, onion, mushrooms, Italian seasoning, paprika and red chili flakes to the pan. Saute until the vegetables are translucent.
- Add the chicken broth to the skillet and whisk the broth as you pour in the half and half. Continue whisking until the sauce thickens.
- Add the spinach and gnocchi to the skillet. Cook 3-4 minutes until the spinach wilts down. Add the chicken back to the pan. Add more salt and pepper to taste then serve warm garnished with parsley.