Healthy Turkey Meatloaf baked on a sheet pan. This easy low calorie dinner recipe is simple to make, egg free, hearty, gluten free and family approved! Low Calorie + Low Carb + Gluten Free
Meatloaf dinners happen monthly in our house and I love it! Meatloaf is such an easy way to get a healthy dinner on the table with minimal effort and this classic recipe is one your family will definitely approve of!
Healthy Turkey Meatloaf
This meatloaf is made healthy with ground turkey, oats, sugar-free ketchup, onions, parsley and extra virgin olive oil. Simple ingredients that you already have on hand!
It's an easy throw together meal that's low calorie, gluten free and so delicious! Perfect for weeknight dinners or meal prepping. I like to make a double batch and freeze one meatloaf for a rainy day. You can freeze it up to 60 days.
What You Need
- 93% Lean Ground Turkey (or ground chicken)
- Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Dried Parsley or fresh
- White Onion
- Ketchup (sugar free or low sugar)
- Salt and Pepper
How To Lighten Up Turkey Meatloaf
I make simple swaps to lower the calories while keeping the meatloaf equally delicious! First, swapping breadcrumbs for gluten free oats ground into flour. Oats are one of my favorite replacements and act as a great high fiber binder. A much healthier option than breadcrumbs!
Second, sugar-free ketchup is used. Most ketchups have a TON of added sugar or high-fructose corn syrup. A sugar-free or lower sugar ketchup will have fewer calories and have less impact on hunger hormones.
Also, olive oil replaces the eggs. While eggs are a healthy option, olive oil adds an extra juicy texture which is needed when you're working with a leaner meat like turkey.
How To Make Meatloaf From Scratch
Making meatloaf from scratch is super simple! Just combine all the meatloaf ingredients in a mixing bowl and incorporate the ingredients well with your fingers. Careful not to over mix as that will will result in a meatloaf that's not as tender.
How To Make Meatloaf On A Sheet Plan
Making meatloaf on a sheet pan is super simple. It's actually my preferred method as getting meatloaf out of a loaf pan can be tricky unless you're using parchment paper.
A sheet pan makes it super easy to bake, slice and serve meatloaf! To bake meatloaf on a sheet pan, line a baking sheet with foil or a nonstick baking mat then transfer the meat mixture to the baking sheet and form into a meatloaf with your hands.
If you're making this recipe, brush the reserved ketchup on top of the meat mixture before baking. It will give the meatloaf a nice glaze and it will taste extra juicy and flavorful!
What To Serve With Your Meatloaf
- Cooked Vegetables - Green Beans, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Zucchini, Side Salad
- Lentils - Cooked on the side or you can add cooked lentils to the meatloaf itself to increase the serving sizes of the recipe.
- Cauliflower Mash
- Lighter Mashed Potatoes
Healthy Turkey Meatloaf
- 1.25 lb ground turkey 93% fat free or ground chicken
- 1/3 cup Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- 1/3 cup white onion diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar free ketchup
- 1/4 cup sugar free ketchup for the top
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Gluten Free Worcesterchire sauce
- 4 cups green beans
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line a large baking sheet with tin foil.
- Place the gluten free rolled oats in a blender. Blend on high 1-2 minutes until it becomes a flour-like consistency.
- Transfer the blended oat, ground turkey, white onion, extra virgin olive oil, Worcesterchire, parsley and 2 tablespoons of the ketchup with salt and pepper to a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the mixture in the bowl with your fingers until all ingredients appear evenly dispersed. Transfer the meat mixture to the prepared sheet pan. Form the meat mixture with your hands into the shape of meatloaf.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the remaining 1/4 cup of ketchup on top of the meatloaf. Bake 15 minutes in the oven.
- After 15 minutes, add the green beans to the sheet pan and spray lightly with avocado spray and add salt and pepper. Bake another 15 minutes or until the meat is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and slice into 8 slices. Serve immediately with the green beans.
- Store the meatloaf in the refrigerator up to 5 days or in the freezer up to 60 days.