A wholesome, comforting & nutritious bowl of vegetables, rice & lentils this Chicken Lentil Soup is gluten free and low calorie. A delicious bowl of warmth for a cold day! Gluten Free + Low Calorie
Hi Everyone! How’s your Saturday? My day started off with a morning run/walk. I didn’t want to get out of my warm bed this morning, but after crawling outside and taking in the fresh air I felt incredible. As always, I was glad I did it once I was done.
My cup of coffee is much more enjoyable after a little fresh air exercise. When I got home, I cooked up a new soup recipe. My Mom has a little cold so I thought some soup would do us all good on this cloudy Arizona day. It was the first time I made this and it was delicious. Another must share. Of course, healthy and low-calorie too. I know I’ve been posting a lot of recipes lately. That’s because I’m on vacation and have more time to experiment.
While I was working out, I starting pondering my resolutions for 2014. I have a few things in mind, but….I have commitment issues lol! I saw this article today on the 10 commandments of type A female personalities. Some of the things on here should be on my list always – i.e. thou shall request help when needed, thou shall appreciate life’s struggles. Come to think of it, all these things should be on my list. My one addition – thou shall stop trying to control everything.
Receive a Sugar Free Meal Plan
When you join the Skinny Fitalicious Email List
Chicken Lentil Soup
A comforting & nutritious bowl of vegetables, rice and lentils this Chicken Lentil Soup is gluten free and low calorie. A delicious bowl of warmth for a cold day!
- 1/2 cup lentils dried
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken 1/2 pound, shredded (I baked 3 chicken breasts in the oven at 350 F for 25 minutes then shredded it with a fork)
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- Rinse lentils under cold water, drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot then add celery, carrots, bell pepper and minced garlic. Sauté until the veggies are tender.
- Stir in the chicken broth, tomatoes, basil, oregano, rosemary, black pepper and lentils.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the shredded chicken and rice.
- Cook another 10 minutes to heat the chicken and rice then serve!
Custom Meal Plans
Work with Megan to develop a custom macro or standard meal plan to reach your goals.