This Cashew Chicken Bake is a simple, one dish dinner packed with protein and vegetables. A healthy gluten free, low calorie meal the whole family will love!
Sometimes I forget what it’s like. What it’s like to be unhealthy and just starting out with weight loss and fitness. It feels like another person’s life, a life that’s not mine. When I think about it, it’s like I’m having deja vu. It came to me when I making this Chicken Cashew Bake, a go-to recipe I’ve been making for years.
I forget that I once was a pizza and fast food for dinner loving kind of person. I also forget how I didn’t used to cook and had to teach myself how to when I was losing weight so I could eat healthier, low calorie food.
I get so caught up making “healthy” recipes for everyone to swoon over that I forget how many of you are just starting out like I once was. So while I, as a health nut, may be currently loving my fancy zucchini oatless oatmeal, to someone else that may seem totally crazy because their version of dinner is pizza and take-out and that’s just too far of a leap for someone to take.
Which brings me to this Cashew Chicken Bake. This has been a simple, go-to recipe of mine for years. One of the first, of many EASY dinner recipes that are lightened up. It’s a healthy, low-calorie version of a take-out favorite of mine. It’s also a spin on my easy chicken stir-fry.
This Cashew Chicken Bake is made with simple swaps to make it healthier than the restaurant versions and you won’t believe how simple it is either. Less money, less calories and less a lot less fat! This is one dinner guaranteed the whole family will love!
Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best kind.
Get A Custom Meal Plan!
Take the guesswork out of meal planning with my Custom Meal Plans! As a nutrition practitioner, my meal plans are personalized to your nutrition, activity and lifestyle needs because there is no one size fits all when it comes to food.
$37.99 for a one week plan with a personal lesson from me on building healthy meals via Skype or phone!
- ½ cup UNCOOKED brown rice (use Minute Instant Brown Rice for this recipe, no other)***
- 3 medium sized chicken breasts, cut into inch size pieces
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts, rinsed & drained
- ⅔ cup water
- 2 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ½ tbsp minced ginger
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 cup cashews
- green onions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 F and spray a casserole dish** with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place brown rice on the bottom of the casserole dish then layer celery and bell pepper. Place chicken on top of veggies. RICE GOES IN THE CASSEROLE DISH UNCOOKED WITH CHICKEN & VEGGIES!*
- In a separate bowl, mix seasonings with soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic & ginger then add mixture to casserole. Layer water chestnuts on top.
- Bake 45 minutes at 375 F uncovered.
- Remove from oven, add cashews & bake another 10 minutes.
- Add green onions for garnish & serve!
**VERY IMPORTANT! You need to ensure the baking dish you use is full when you bake. If there is open space in the dish, then the rice will not bake. A smaller baking dish is recommended.
***Use Minute Instant Brown Rice only for the recipe to ensure it cooks.
Do you forget what it’s like to be unhealthy? Do you feel like some recipes are too “healthy” for the average person?