This Smoky Black Bean Lentil Chili is a hearty and healthy meal. Seasoned with jalapeño and smoky paprika, this makes the perfect comfort meal on a chilly winter day!
Happy Monday friendly faces! I hope you had a nice, long Christmas weekend. It was an eventful weekend here! Dad flew in early last week to spend quality time with me. That meant he fixed various things around the house while I tested a few healthy recipes of chocolate chip cookies.
He will only eat chocolate chip cookies and the family recipe is not so heart friendly so I was a mission to get him to eat something better and the good news is I think I nailed it. Once I get some pics, I'll be posting the recipe!
On Christmas day Mom flew in to celebrate with us. She was just in time for the Packer-Cardinal game yesterday too. I bought my parents tickets for the game.
How many times in your life will you be able to see your favorite team play in your state and only a few blocks from your house? I haven't been to a Packer game in forever and it was a lot of fun seeing them here in my state!
Can you believe it's the last week of 2015? When I started seeing new years resolutions posts popping up last week, I was a little annoyed. I mean can we enjoy Christmas first without thinking about the 15 healthy recipes we should be eating in January?
Yes, I'm all about the healthy, in case you haven't noticed, but I really hate it when our culture rushes things hop scotches over the holidays.
But now that Christmas is over, it's time to detox and get some good-for-you food in the body to drown all the holiday sugar and keep you warm this winter starting with this hearty chili!
This is a spin off my slow cooker vegetarian black bean chili with zucchini. I wanted to make a healthy vegetarian chili low in calories, something with lentils so I replaced the zucchini with them and added a whole lot of spice!
It does have a bit of kick so if you're sensitive to spicy foods, I recommend you omit the jalapeño and stick with the smoky paprika. Hearty and filling, this healthy chili makes the perfect comforting winter meal. I know what I'll be eating the next few months!
Smoky Black Bean Lentil Chili
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper ribs and seed removed, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup lentils
- 30 oz black beans
- 12 oz tomato paste
- 56 oz diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Optional toppings: plain nonfat Greek yogurt, cilantro, more jalapeño slices
- Heat a large pot over medium heat, add oil, carrots, onions and jalapeños.
- Cook until onion are tender about 5 minutes then add garlic allow to cook 1-2 minutes. Add cumin, paprika, chili powder, cayenne and salt
- When the spices become fragrant, add vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and lentils. Stir to combine then bring to a boil
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium low, cover and simmer 20 minutes
- Remove cover, add black beans and cook another 10 minutes. Serve immediately and add optional toppings as desired.
- Refrigerate up to one week or freeze up to 3 months.
What I Used For The Recipe