This Smoky Black Bean Lentil Chili is a hearty and healthy meal. Seasoned with jalapeño and smoky paprika, this makes the perfect comfort meal on a chilly winter day!
Happy Monday friendly faces! I hope you had a nice, long Christmas weekend. It was an eventful weekend here! Dad flew in early last week to spend quality time with me. That meant he fixed various things around the house while I tested a few healthy recipes of chocolate chip cookies. He will only eat chocolate chip cookies and the family recipe is not so heart friendly so I was a mission to get him to eat something better and the good news is I think I nailed it. Once I get some pics, I’ll be posting the recipe!
On Christmas day Mom flew in to celebrate with us. She was just in time for the Packer-Cardinal game yesterday too. I bought my parents tickets for the game. How many times in your life will you be able to see your favorite team play in your state and only a few blocks from your house? I haven’t been to a Packer game in forever and it was a lot of fun seeing them here in my state!
Can you believe it’s the last week of 2015? When I started seeing new years resolutions posts popping up last week, I was a little annoyed. I mean can we enjoy Christmas first without thinking about the 15 healthy recipes we should be eating in January? Yes, I’m all about the healthy, in case you haven’t noticed, but I really hate it when our culture rushes things hop scotches over the holidays. But now that Christmas is over, it’s time to detox and get some good-for-you food in the body to drown all the holiday sugar and keep you warm this winter starting with this hearty chili!
This is a spin off of my slow cooker vegetarian black bean chili with zucchini. I wanted to make something with lentils so I replaced the zucchini with them and added a whole lot of spice (I love spice). It does have a bit of kick so if you’re sensitive to spicy foods, I recommend you omit the jalapeño and stick with the smoky paprika. Hearty and filling, this chili makes the perfect healthy winter meal. I know what I’ll be eating the next few weeks!
Smoky Black Bean Lentil Chili
- 1/2 medium white onion diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper ribs & seed removed & diced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup black or green lentils
- 2 - 15 ounce cans black beans
- 2 - 6 ounce cans tomato paste
- 1 - 28 ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- dash of salt
- optional toppings: plain nonfat Greek yogurt, cilantro & more jalapeño
- Heat a large pot over medium heat, add oil, carrots, onions & jalapeños
- Cook until onion are tender ~5 minutes then add garlic allow to cook 1-2 minutes
- Add cumin, paprika, chili powder, cayenne & salt
- When the spices become fragrant, add vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste & lentils
- Stir to combine then bring to a boil
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium low, cover & simmer 20 minutes
- Remove cover, add black beans & cook another 10 minutes
- Serve immediately & add options as desired
- Refrigerate up to a week or freeze up to 3 months
Makes 8 servings, 222 calories each, add more for additional toppings
*Can also substitute extra virgin olive oil
Custom Meal Plans
Work with Megan to develop a custom macro or standard meal plan to reach your goals.
What I Used For The Recipe
Do you like spicy foods? How did you celebrate the holidays?