Cajun Chicken Sausage Chili made in a slow cooker! A high protein meal that's loaded with veggies and Paleo friendly. Easy to make in a slow cooker. A delicious and comforting meal that feeds a crowd. Paleo + Gluten Free + Low Calorie
Another healthy crockpot recipe coming at you today! I have to say, I love a good spicy chili but this one's sure got a kick to it. I made my own blend of cajun seasoning with spices in my pantry and WOW was it ever good. The pictures really don't do it justice.
My boyfriend ate it two nights in a row and said he loved it. He's the pickiest eater on the planet so if I could get him to eat it, I'm sure you can get some of your picky family members to as well. Besides being so ridiculously easy to make in a slow cooker, I love that this one is high in protein.
I purposely made it that way because my boyfriend and many of my readers struggle with maintaining their blood sugar throughout the day (hello carb and sugar cravings!). I've been slowly working with him to increase his protein.
He doesn't eat protein consistently throughout the day and then he comes home and slams a bag of chips. Um...yeah not so healthy. Now that he's eating more protein he's less and less snack-y which has been my plan all along. I just don't tell him my plans so let's keep this one between you and I. Ok?
Now for some chili talk! This chili is protein loaded with ground chicken and turkey sausage. I used turkey kielbasa, but any sausage will work. Just note pork sausage will increase the fat quite a bit more and it's already on the higher side.
A meal prep tip...chop the veggies and slice the sausage ahead of time so all you have to do is toss all the ingredients in a slow cooker in the morning before you run off to work. I used my veggie chopper for the veggies and kept them in it overnight in the fridge until I was ready to toss them in my slow cooker.
This Chicken Sausage Chili makes a wonderful meal prep recipe. Makes a ton of food so you can definitely freeze some for a rainy day. Meal plan subscribers! This recipe will be coming to your meal plan this winter. Get excited!
P.S. If you didn't see the 20 Healthy Crockpot recipes I shared a few weeks ago, make sure you check those out too!
Cajun Chicken Sausage Chili
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 15 oz turkey sausage sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1/3 cup celery diced
- 1/2 cup white onion diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 28 oz fire roasted tomatoes
- 15 oz diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Parsley for garnish
- Place the olive oil, minced garlic, green bell pepper, onion and celery in a slow cooker. Cook on high 10 minutes to soften the veggies with the slow cooker covered.
- Add the ground chicken and break up the meat with a spatula. Then add the remaining ingredients (except the parsley for garnish). Stir together, cover and cooke 6-8 hours on low heat or 4 hours on high heat.
- Stir a few times while it cooks to break up the ground chicken. Once it's ready, serve immediately with fresh parsley garnished on top.
- Divide into meal prep containers for pre-portioned meals. Store in the refrigerator up to 7 days or in the freezer up to 60 days.
What I Used For The Recipe