Vegan Apple Cinnamon Peanut Butter Bites! Simple, no bake energy bites with a soft, cookie like texture with the sweetness of cinnamon. Made with good for you ingredients and refined sugar free. A healthy snack the whole family will love! Vegan + Low Calorie + Gluten Free
I know I'm a day late and a dollar short with these Apple Cinnamon Peanut Butter Bites recipe but hey. that's what happens when you live in the dessert and don't get a fall season. It's apple season year round and I'm not complaining!
During the summer I forget about apples in this crazy heat and turn to berries for quick snacks and treats. When I was losing weight, I ate an apple a day and it's a habit I still have to this day. That is, unless I'm counting macros and carb cycling. Then I'm eating apples only a few days a week, but I found another way to eat them. In apple cinnamon peanut butter bites!
Balanced in nutrition, high in fiber and naturally sweetened with cinnamon, they couldn't be a greater family treat. I know a lot of people will ask about the high sugar in the dates, so let's get that discussion out of the way.
Dates ARE high in natural sugar, however, they are also VERY HIGH in fiber. It's one of the few sugars I allow my clients who are dealing with sugar cravings to eat and I've worked with hundreds of people with cravings. I haven't tested other substitutions for the dates, but I am guessing raisins or figs would work.
A few tips for making your bite recipe. First, soak the dates in water. How long will really depend on how old your dates are. The older they are, the stiffer they are which means they will need to soak longer to soften. You can always soak them overnight to be safe.
Second, when rolling the dough into balls keep your fingers slightly damp. This will help the dough stick together and prevent it from sticking to your hands.
Third, keep these bad boys in the freezer instead of the refrigerator. They are very soft like cookies and I found they held up better in the freezer. You can eat them right out of the freezer and they will last a few hours in a lunchbox just fine.
Vegan Apple Cinnamon Peanut Butter Bites
- Place the dates in a bowl with water and soak for 20 minutes until softened.
- Add the dates to a food processor with the vanilla extract and pulse until it forms a paste.
- To the food processor, add the the applesauce, coconut flour, peanut butter and 1 tablespoon of the cinnamon. Process until a thick dough appears.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to harden.
- After 20 minutes, remove from the refrigerator and form into 14 energy balls by rolling 1 1/2 tablespoons of the dough between your hands. Having wet hands will help from the dough sticking to you and sticking together.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of the cinnamon on a plate and roll each ball over the cinnamon to coat.
- Place the balls in a plastic bag and store in the freezer up to 60 days.
What I Used For The Recipe