With the cool weather approaching, what could be better than a chewy, oven-baked breakfast bar bursting with crunchy walnuts and sweet, ripe blueberries?
Look no further! I've got you covered with these omega-3 packed Blueberry Protein Walnut Breakfast Bars!
We all know breakfast is the most important part of the day, but getting the right mix of nutrients in your breakfast is really what's important.
Quite often my clients focus their breakfasts around only a protein or carbohydrate which can lead them to feeling hungry soon after they've eaten. A balanced breakfast is necessary to keep blood sugar levels stable and reduce cravings.
By combining whole grains with protein and a healthy fat, you're guaranteed to feel full and satisfied all morning long and these Blueberry Protein Walnut Breakfast Bars do just that!
Made with a protein-walnut-oat base and topped with a blueberry, walnut, oat crumble, these breakfast bars are the ideal balance of macronutrients.
Have I told you walnuts, specifically California Walnuts are my favorite nut? They're incredibly versatile and add a unique depth of flavor to foods.
Not to mention a crunch that's irresistible! Now, I know what you're thinking. Walnuts? Aren't they high in calories and fat? The short and skinny is yes, but not so fast.
When it comes to walnuts, they are the champion of plant-based omega-3 alpha-linolenic-acid which is an essential amino acid our bodies need to survive.
Our bodies cannot produce it on their own which means they need to get from foods, and walnuts are the only nut to provide a significant source of this essential nutrient. They're also high in protein in fiber. Double health bonus!
I know, I know. I'm turning into a nerdy nutrition, but I can't help it. Food is fun!
While walnuts are a calorie dense food they're a nutrient our bodies needs and they offer a number of health benefits including but not limited to being protective of heart disease, improving cognitive function, reducing inflammation and reversing damage from free radicals. There's a lot of power in these little nuts!
You could say, when it comes to walnuts, a little goes a really long way to promoting good health. As with any food, it's a matter of controlling your portions and not going overboard.
But these Blueberry Protein Walnut Breakfast Bars. Oh, my! They're warm, bursting with sweet blueberries and you get a nice crunchy bite from the walnuts in every bite.
A delightful breakfast bar that's high in omega-3 (thanks to those California Walnuts), packed with nutrients and antioxidants and balanced with macronutrients.
What more could you need? Okay, maybe some coffee. I'll make the breakfast bars, you get the coffee. Deal?
Blueberry Protein Walnut Breakfast Bars
For the Base:
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare a 9-inch x 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper crisscrossed for easy removal.
- Add all the ingredients for the base to your food processor and process on high until fully broken down and the mixture is doughy.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer with a spatula.
- Place in the oven for 8 minutes to bake.
- While the crust is baking, all the ingredients for the crumble to a bowl an combine.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven, top with the crumble mixture into an even layer pressing the mixture gently into the crust.
- Bake another 12 minutes in the oven.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan 30 minutes prior to lifting the bars out of the pan with the parchment paper and slicing into 12 bars.
- Store bars in the refrigerator in a container up to one week.