Creamy Zucchini Chocolate Espresso Brownies with an almond butter swirl! Made with almond butter, chocolate, espresso and oats, these brownies are gluten free, vegan and low calorie with a Paleo option too. Luscious chocolate-y brownies that make healthy eating easy! Gluten Free + Low Calorie + Vegan
I’ve decided I need to plant a zucchini garden. This is a scary thing people! Everything I’ve ever planted dies. Hence, why I live in the dessert and plant cactus. You have to try really hard to kill a cactus. BUT for as many recipes as I make with zucchini, I thought I should at least try because I really do use zucchini in everything.
The only problem? I don’t have a garden nor do I have room for a garden because I have a small courtyard. So I asked my all knowing, green finger garden planting mother for advice but even she wasn’t sure. So I looked to my friend Google for suggestions and found out I could grown them in pots.
After consulting with Mom, she suggested I buy pots that are low to the ground so the vines could spread onto the patio. I remember her planting squash on the side of the house when I was younger and it literally grew like a weed. Vines everywhere! Growing up, I mowed the lawn and was always fearful I’d run over a squash and become victim to Mom’s wrath.
So now I have a large pot sporting two zucchini plants and already in two weeks the leaves have doubled. I’m taking that as a good sign. Bring on the zucchini!
That means a lot more zucchini oatless oatmeal, zucchini oat cookies, zucchini parmesan fries, zucchini red pepper frittata, zucchini salsa turkey burgers, healthy zucchini chocolate muffins, zucchini cocoa pancakes, zucchini bread and Zucchini Espresso Chocolate Brownies will be happening a lot more around here!
WAIT…back up. Did someone say brownies???
Why yes I did! Zucchini Espresso Chocolate Brownies to be exact!
And these aren’t just any brownies people. They’re made with zucchini, cocoa, nut butter, oats and espresso powder. OMG yum! Someone call the chocolate police now.
Now the secret to making these Zucchini Espresso Chocolate Brownies extra creamy is to use creamy almond butter and the key to getting that holy grail chocolate-y chocolate taste is in the espresso powder. If you haven’t used it before, I highly recommend it! BUT a little does go a long way. You don’t need much and it lasts for-EVER.
I hope my zucchini plants keeping growing this fast because I need more brownies!!!
Receive a Sugar Free Meal Plan
When you join the Skinny Fitalicious Email List
Zucchini Chocolate Espresso Brownies
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini ~2 small zucchini shredded
- 1/2 cup almond butter creamy and unsweetened
- 1/2 cup maple
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp espresso powder
- 3/4 cup Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp almond butter for swirl
Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare an 8x11 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place oats in food processor or blender and process until ground.
In a large bowl, mix together almond butter, applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla until smooth.
- Next add zucchini, cocoa powder, ground oats, baking soda, espresso powder and salt and mix ingredients together until well combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan. With a toothpick swirl in the 2 tbsp of almond butter into the batter.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted into middle of the brownies and comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan 30 minutes prior to slicing into 12 brownies and devouring!
Custom Meal Plans
Work with Megan to develop a custom macro or standard meal plan to reach your goals.