Zucchini Cocoa Pancakes are vegan, gluten free friendly and low in calories! Made with simple wholesome, real food ingredients and oh so tasty! These pancakes are a sneaky way to add more healthy foods to your diet in a chocolaty way. Vegan + Gluten Free + Low Calorie
This Zucchini Cocoa Pancakes recipe was originally published March 2015. I retested, rephotographed and updated the content for you. Hope you love it!
Well well well look at what we have here! Zucchini Cocoa Pancakes! It's been 3 years since I made these pancakes. I wanted to add them to Skinny Fitalicious Meal Plans, but the pictures desperately needed updating. The old ones were pretty sad.
It was a good excuse to make an old recipe. I'm always experimenting with new recipes so I don't always have the ability to make older ones regularly. I mean there's only so much food one girl can eat. My boyfriend's also a super picky eater. I finally got him to eat broccoli after 6 months of dating. Zucchini is next!
Actually, zucchini is one of the easiest things to add to your diet because you can't taste it. I tell those in my group coaching all the time to add shredded zucchini to oatmeal, quesadillas, etc. It's an easy way to get the kids to eat it!
Let's talk about making these pancakes, shall we?
They're made egg-free with a flax egg. You can substitute a whole egg in place of the flax egg. I like the extra fiber the flax adds to the batter so if you do go the egg route, I recommend you still add 1 tablespoon of flax to hold the batter together.
I did not squeeze the liquid out of my zucchini after I shredded it in my food processor. For many of my recipes, I do not have to. I also live in Arizona where's it very dry so if you want to be safe I recommend squeezing out excess liquid in a dishtowel before adding it to the batter.
Cooking times will depend on what you use to cook these. I used an electric skillet, but a cast iron skillet will cook the pancakes much faster. They are thin so they will cook quickly with whatever method you use.
Either way, these Zucchini Cocoa Pancakes will satisfy your cravings for carbs. I made 2 batches and frozen half to eat in a few weeks. I ended up eating them for dinner a few times!
Cashew Chia Pancakes
Zucchini Cocoa Pancakes
- 1 tablespoon flax meal plus 2 tbsp water to make a flax egg
- 1 banana very ripe
- 1/4 cup zucchini shredded
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Gluten Free Flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Make flax egg by combining flax seeds and water in small bowl. Refrigerate flax with water 15 to 30 minutes until mixture thickens and has an egg like consistency.
- Place the banana, milk, vanilla extract and flax egg in a blender. Blend on high until smooth. Pour the mixture into a separate mixing bowl and stir in the shredded zucchini.
- Heat an electric griddle to medium heat.
- Scoop 1/3 cup of the batter onto the griddle. 1/3 of a cup equals 1 pancake. Cook each pancakes 5 minutes until bubbles form on top and the bottoms are golden brown. They will take a while to setup on the first side. Carefully, flip pancakes then cook an additional 4 to 6 minutes.
- Cool on a baking rack. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator up to 7 days or in the freezer 30 days.