Zucchini Salsa Turkey Burgers! A fusion of salsa and zucchini flavors packed into a grilled turkey burger. Topped with a 2-ingredient salsa Greek yogurt dressing to make a flavorful veggie packed burgers that's unbelievably good. Gluten Free + Low Calorie
This Zucchini Salsa Turkey Burgers recipe was originally published August 2015. I retested, rephotographed and updated the content for you. Hope you enjoy it!
Sometimes the best recipes are the unplanned ones that happen by mistake. This recipe originally came about from a lonely zucchini in my fridge about to die and me wanting to eat turkey burgers, but not crazy about eating a boring one. I want to make them more flavorful and filling.
The solution? Add shredded zucchini and salsa!
I always have salsa on hand to add to my eggs, salads, fish and chicken. It's an easy topper to bland foods to add flavor with few calories not to mention you're adding veggies and nutrition. Win!
Turkey is pretty bland on its own and so is zucchini, but adding salsa made these zucchini salsa turkey burgers extra moist, juicy and flavorful. They also have a slight hint of spice. You can adjust the level of heat with the salsa you buy.
The original recipe called for quinoa flakes and wouldn't you know it, I was out of them when I went to remake this recipe so I subbed ground gluten free oats. It made the perfect substitute.
To sweeten the deal, I topped mine with Greek yogurt salsa. Salsa on the inside and salsa on the inside. You may want to salsa once you taste how delicious these zucchini salsa turkey burgers are!
And, if you have picky eaters in your house these burgers are great for sneaking in those veggies.
The verdict on these burgers? Best. Idea. Ever!
Zucchini Salsa Turkey Burgers
For the Burgers:
For the Dressing:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Heat a grill pan on the stove to medium heat and spray with cooking spray or lightly grease.
- Place the oats in a blender and blend until smooth. Then place all the ingredients for the burgers in a large mixing bowl. Mix ingredients together with hands until combined evenly with the meat.
- With your hand, score the meat 6 ways to make 6 burgers approximately the same size. Remove 1 score from the bowl to make rounded patties with your hands.
- Add the patties to the grill pan. Cook 7-8 minutes on the first side (the patties should be set by this point) if not cook a bit longer before flipping and cooking another 4-5 minutes until lightly browned on both sides.
- Remove patties from grill pan, place on a plate while you prepare the dressing. Make the dressing by stirring the two ingredients together in a bowl. About 2 1/2 tablespoons of the dressing goes with each burger.
- Serve your burger on a gluten free bun or lettuce wrap then top with dressing! Store burgers in the fridge up to 7 days or in the freezer up to 30 days.
What I Used For The Recipe