This Meal Prep Chicken Lentil Soup is a nutritious bowl of vegetables, rice and lentils. Nourishing, comforting and takes less than 30 minutes to make. A delicious bowl of warmth for a cold day! Gluten Free + Low Calorie
Hola from Mexico! I’m currently relaxing on the beach and at the pool. The guy and I escaped the country for the weekend for a mini vacay to celebrate my 40th birthday. EEK!
I can’t believe I’m that old. We drove down yesterday (4 hour drive from Phoenix) to stay with friends at their condo in Rocky Point. If you’ve never been to Rocky Point, you need to visit! It’s gorgeous and it’s so convenient to get to if you’re in the Phoenix area.
Needless to say, it’s highly unlikely I’ll be on social media or checking the blog this weekend. Phone service is limited and the only place with WIFI is the resort next to the condo.
As much as I loving blogging and all things social media, I kind of love the fact that I’m forced to disconnect. Even if it’s only for a weekend.
Okay, enough beach talk. Let’s talk soup! A few weeks ago, I revisited an old recipe that I’ve made for years. It’s ridiculously easy to make. Takes 30 minutes or less in a pot. Perfect for meal prepping a healthy lunch or dinner every week.
I realized when I was making this that this recipe is one that could be made in a crockpot. In fact, it might be easier as you could toss the chicken in the crockpot raw with the other ingredients to cook.
If you do that, I recommend you cook on low 6 hours then 30 minutes before it’s done add the lentils and rice. You don’t want to add them too soon, or they’re be mushy. Either method will work. If you do go the crockpot route, let me know how it goes!
Now there is some veggie prepping that happens with this recipe. Two ways to make that easier. One, you can use a chopper like this one.
My Mom bought me it and it’s a total game changer. No more chopping by hand! The second method, is in the video below where I explain to you how to do it with a blender.
For the meal prep bowls, I bought these ones and love them. They’re perfect for oatmeal or soups to take with you on the go, or to pre-portion meals.
Remember meals and meal prepping can be easy. You just have to be creative! If you don’t meal prep it, no soup for you!
Meal Prep Chicken Lentil Soup
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- Rinse lentils under cold water, drain and set aside.
Heat olive oil in a large pot then add celery, carrots, bell pepper and minced garlic. Sauté until the veggies are tender.
- Stir in the chicken broth, tomatoes, basil, oregano, rosemary, black pepper and lentils.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the shredded chicken and rice.
- Cook another 10 minutes to heat the chicken and rice then serve!
- Each serving equals 1 meal prep bowl.
- You can also make shredded chicken in my Instant Pot and slow cooker or buy Rotisserie chicken and shred it.
- My Amazon shop has more products similar to those used for this recipe and that I recommend to my nutrition clients.
Get a meal plan designed to meet your weight loss goals.