This Cashew Chicken Bake is a simple, one dish dinner packed with protein and vegetables. A healthy gluten free, low calorie meal the whole family will love! Gluten Free + Low Calorie
Sometimes I forget what it’s like. What it’s like to be unhealthy and just starting out with weight loss and fitness. It feels like another person’s life, a life that’s not mine. When I think about it, it’s like I’m having deja vu. It came to me when I making this Chicken Cashew Bake, a go-to recipe I’ve been making for years.
I forget that I once was a pizza and fast food for dinner loving kind of person. I also forget how I didn’t used to cook and had to teach myself how to when I was losing weight so I could eat healthier, low calorie food.
I get so caught up making “healthy” recipes for everyone to swoon over that I forget how many of you are just starting out like I once was. So while I, as a health nut, may be currently loving my fancy zucchini oatless oatmeal, to someone else that may seem totally crazy because their version of dinner is pizza and take-out and that’s just too far of a leap for someone to take.
Which brings me to this Cashew Chicken Bake. This has been a simple, go-to recipe of mine for years. One of the first, of many EASY dinner recipes that are lightened up. It’s a healthy, low-calorie version of a take-out favorite of mine. It’s also a spin on my easy chicken stir-fry.
This Cashew Chicken Bake is made with simple swaps to make it healthier than the restaurant versions and you won’t believe how simple it is either. Less money, less calories and less a lot less fat! This is one dinner guaranteed the whole family will love! Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best kind.
3 Smart Strategies To Stop Cravings
BONUS when you sign up!
Cashew Chicken Bake
This Cashew Chicken Bake is a simple, one dish dinner packed with protein and vegetables. A healthy, gluten free and low calorie meal the whole family will love!
- 1/2 cup brown rice uncooked, I used Minute Brown Rice
- 9 ounces chicken breast cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 green bell pepper chopped into bite size pieces
- 8 ounce can water chestnuts rinsed & drained
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp Gluten Free soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup cashews raw
- green onions for garnish
Preheat oven to 375 F and spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Place brown rice on the bottom of the casserole dish, add water then layer celery and bell pepper.
Place chicken on top of veggies. RICE GOES IN THE CASSEROLE DISH UNCOOKED WITH CHICKEN & VEGGIES.
In a separate bowl, mix seasonings with soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic and ginger then add mixture to casserole. Layer water chestnuts on top.
Bake 45 minutes at 375 F uncovered.
Remove from oven, add cashews and bake another 10 minutes.
Top with sliced green onions for garnish and serve!
- Brown rice is used in the recipe and the RICE GOES IN THE CASSEROLE per the instruction. Use an instant rice like Minute Instant Brown Rice for the recipe to ensure it cooks in the casserole.
- Make sure the baking dish you use is full when before you bake. If there is open space in the dish, then the rice will not bake.
- Recipe makes 6 servings. I recommend you divide the servings evenly among 6 containers.
- My Amazon shop has more products similar to those used for this recipe and that I recommend to my nutrition clients.
- Like this recipe? See my Skillet Cashew Chicken.
Custom Meal Plans
Work with Megan to develop a custom macro or standard meal plan to reach your goals.
What I Used For The Recipe
Do you forget what it’s like to be unhealthy? Do you feel like some recipes are too “healthy” for the average person?
[Tweet “Try this #Healthy Cashew Chicken Bake for a lighter version of your favorite take-out!”]