I’ve partnered with Dole Packaged Foods to bring you this post. All opinions expressed are my own.
Pineapple Firecracker Chicken with Quinoa! This sweet and savory dish makes tender and moist chicken. Easy to make in a skillet and family approved! Gluten Free + Low Calorie
How about a filling dinner today? Even better, this one you can meal prep or make in under 30 minutes! I've partnered with Dole Sunshine to bring you this incredible pineapple firecracker chicken recipe and I hope you're as thankful as I am for their amazingly simple, yet nourishing products.
What do you do on a busy weeknight when you want a protein-packed meal, but don't know what to make? Head over to Skinny Fitalicious and make this recipe of course!
Pineapple Firecracker Chicken with Quinoa
All the ingredients you need for this recipe are pantry (and refrigerator) staples. Chicken, canned pineapple and quinoa. Simple ingredients you should have lurking in your kitchen and if you don't, now that it's 2019 it's time to make it a habit.
Okay, let's bring it back to the recipe! This one is a goodie. Simple and family approved, but better for you than takeout. The chicken is lightly breaded in arrowroot powder (or corn starch may be subbed) then cooked with spicy ingredients for a slight kick. Tossed with sweet pineapple tidbits to balance out the spiciness and served with quinoa.
A hearty, high protein meal with the right balance of flavor and textures. This is one you'll want to make over and over again friends!
What You Need
- Chicken Breasts
- Pineapple Tidbits
- Avocado Oil
- Coconut Aminos
- Hot Sauce
- Arrowroot Powder (or Corn Starch)
- Ground Ginger, Red Pepper Flakes, Salt, Pepper
- Sesame Seeds
- Green Onions
Prep the chicken in step 1 of the recipe instructions ahead of time and store in the refrigerator until you're ready to cook it. It's not a huge time saver but hey, it still saves you time! You can also cook the quinoa ahead of time so it's one less thing to make. Paleo? Swap the quinoa for cauliflower rice. The rest of the dish is Paleo friendly so it's an easy substitution to make it lower carb.
Nerdy nutrition fact...the Vitamin C from the pineapple helps break down the protein from the chicken and quinoa into amino acids and carry them to the blood stream. Plus the pineapple makes it's so flavorful!
Phew! Enough talking. Let's eat friends!
Pineapple Firecracker Chicken With Quinoa
- 1 lb chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 3/4 cup pineapple tidbits
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hot sauce or buffalo sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or gluten free soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 green onion sliced, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds optional
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions.
- While the quinoa cooks, slice the chicken into 1 inch pieces and place in a plastic bag. Add the arrowroot powder, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Shake the bags several times to coat the chicken. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the pineapple juice, hot sauce, ginger and coconut aminos to make the sauce.
- Place the sauce in a skillet and bring to a simmer. Whisk as the sauce simmers to full break down the ginger.
- Remove the sauce from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the avocado oil to the skillet and bring to a medium-low heat. Add the chicken pieces from the bag. If using a smaller skillet, add half the chicken at a time. Do not over crowd the skillet.
- Cook the chicken 5-7 minutes until it is cooked through, flipping once.
- Add the sauce and pineapple to the skillet. Toss to combine.
- Remove from the heat. Garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions.