Turn Thanksgiving leftovers into a cheesy Italian Turkey & Kale Bake. This perfectly balanced, savory meal is a delicious way to start your day!
Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays and I have no shame in saying it’s for the delicious food! What I love best about Thanksgiving though are the leftovers. As a single girl, I usually have a lot of them too. Leftovers can be a good thing and a bad thing. The good thing is you have food for days; the bad thing is you get really sick of eating the same things over and over again. Instead of throwing those leftovers out, I like to repurpose them into something brand new. Why let good food go to waste, right?
For as long as I can remember, I’ve always eaten an egg bake on Thanksgiving. It was a tradition in my house when I was growing up. Egg bake and cinnamon rolls every Thanksgiving morning. I can still smell them baking in my mother’s kitchen to this day.
This may come as a surprise to you, but I wasn’t always an eggs for breakfast kind of person. It wasn’t until five years ago when I committed to changing my eating and exercise habits that led me to losing 80 pounds that I started eating eggs daily. Since then, eggs have been an important stable in my diet. They’re an excellent source of vitamins & protein and great for building lean muscle and keeping me full. But when it comes to selecting eggs I don’t just eat any eggs. In fact, when it comes to any food I’m very picky about what I put in my body. Just ask anyone who knows me. That’s why I choose Eggland’s Best eggs.
Eggland’s Best Eggs have superior nutrition when compared to ordinary eggs. Each EB Egg contains 4x more Vitamin D and 10x more Vitamin E than ordinary eggs, plus they stay fresher longer! For those of you who’ve been long time followers, you know I’ve suffered a number of bone and joint problems the past two years. To combat those issues, I look for foods naturally high in omega-3 to include in my diet. Eggland’s Best delivers more than double the omega-3 than ordinary eggs, which helps control join pain by reducing inflammation; one of the many reasons why they’re my egg of choice!
Although I eat Eggland’s Best Eggs for breakfast every day, there’s something magical about an egg bake. It’s warm, savory and filling. I like to think of them as “my fancy eggs.” Fancy eggs invoke the spirit of the holidays within me and remind me to cherish the time with the people I love. Good food really does foster special moments and memories.
This year I’m making a new holiday egg bake aka fancy eggs with England’s Best Eggs by using leftover Thanksgiving turkey. There’s only so many turkey sandwiches I can eat. I shred the turkey after carving it for simple meals after Thanksgiving. I like to split the leftovers in half. Half for sandwiches or salads and the other half for eggs! Don’t worry, if leftover turkey sandwiches are your thing, you can substitute this with ground turkey by browning the turkey first.
As you know, I like to keep things simple in the kitchen and this fancy Eggland’s Best Best egg bake couldn’t be any easier. Once you have your turkey worked out, all that’s left to do is assemble and bake. Sprinkle the turkey evenly on the bottom of a baking dish, layer with kale, diced tomatoes, milk, seasonings then top with eggs and cheese, bake and voila you have an easy meal.
Who can argue about simple food, superior nutrition and making memories? Now go make yourself some fancy eggs with that leftover turkey!
Italian Turkey & Kale Bake
- <a href="http://www.egglandsbest.com/">4 Egglands Best</a> large egg whites
- <a href="http://www.egglandsbest.com/">3 Egglands Best</a> large eggs whites & yolks in a ramekin
- 2 cups shredded turkey or 1 package lean ground turkey browned
- 2 cups shredded kale with ribs removed
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes juices drained
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp almond meal
- 1/8 cup milk of choice
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a medium sized baking dish with nonstick cooking spray
- Place turkey in an even layer on the bottom of the dish
- Top turkey with shredded kale then top with diced tomatoes
- In a separate bowl, combine salt, pepper, spices & almond meal then pour over the top of the tomatoes
- In another small bowl, whip 6 egg whites together with milk until fluffy about 4 minutes
- Top bake with egg & milk mixture
- Using a ramekin, gently slide each whole egg with its yolk over the top of the egg bake one at a time
- The eggs should swim on top of the bake
- Sprinkle top of the bake with cheese
- Bake 20-25 minutes until eggs set up around the edges of the bake
- Allow the bake to sit 5-10 minutes before topping with garnish & slicing
Makes 6 servings, 165 calories each
Custom Meal Plans
Work with Megan to develop a custom macro or standard meal plan to reach your goals.
How do you chose nutrition for your body? What tradition has stuck with you throughout your life?
[Tweet “Turn Thanksgiving Leftovers Into An Italian Turkey & Kale #Egg Bake #ad .@EgglandsBest”]