Healthy Greek yogurt bagels made gluten free and low calorie with just 5 ingredients. A high protein bagel made from scratch that's easy, better for you and so delicious! Gluten Free + Low Calorie
I've always loved bagels, but let me tell you - I LOVE these Greek yogurt bagels. It's one of my favorite ways to add sneaky protein to a breakfast or a snack.
I talk about the importance of protein at breakfast in my free weight loss class for women over 35.
The Greek yogurt bagels are easy to make, and will quickly become one of your breakfast favorites! They're made with only 5 ingredients and easy to customize the toppings to your liking.
What Makes Greek Yogurt Bagels Healthier?
You may be asking what makes these Greek yogurt bagels better for you. Bagels are a carbohydrate food made from flour. Flour is ground from a refined grain and that flour is baked into a bagel. Anytime we have a refined grain made into flour and baked, it spikes blood sugar.
Studies show when we eat refined grains, like bagels, they spike blood sugar more than eating table sugar. Pretty shocking, but there really isn't a great barrier for the human body to balance refined grains.
This recipe takes a traditional bagel recipe and balances the flour by adding yogurt, a protein, to slow the blood sugar response. This is part of hormonal weight loss that I teach my clients.
Here's more reasons why this healthy bagel recipe is better for you!
- Low Calorie - Each bagel is 149 calories as we are replacing oil and sugar traditionally used in bagel recipes with yogurt. Remember calories are not everything. The nutrition under the calories need to be well balanced and this recipe does that for you.
- High Protein - Each bagel has 10 grams of protein from the yogurt. Anytime we eat higher carb foods, we want to look for ways to increase the protein to balance the blood sugar response.
- Lower Fat - Total fat per bagel is 2 grams. That is low fat and even if you were to use full fat Greek yogurt for this recipe, the fat content would still be moderate to low.
- Gluten Free - This recipe uses gluten free ingredients.
Ingredients For Low Calorie Bagels
Here's what you need to make homemade bagels with yogurt. You will also need a large baking sheet and mixing bowl.
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the blog post for the ingredients measurements, full instructions, nutritional data and to print this recipe.
- Low Fat Greek Yogurt
- Egg White
- Gluten Free Baking Flour
- Baking Powder
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
How To Make Bagels With Greek Yogurt
Here are the steps to making gluten free bagels with yogurt. Don't worry making homemade bagels is easy!
To start, preheat the oven and prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Then combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the yogurt to the flour mixture and mix together until it results in crumbles.
Dust a clean surface with a bit of flour, remove the crumbles from the bowl and place on the surface to knead until the dough is tacky. Be careful not to over mix the dough. The dough should not be sticky or sticky to your hands. If it is sticky, it is over mixed.
Divide the dough into four sections and roll into balls then roll each one out to about 3-4 inches long then combine the ends to form a bagel with a hole in the center. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg white then brush each bagel with with the egg white. Top with the everything bagel seasoning.
Bake the bagels 25-28 minutes or until lightly browned then remove from the oven, cool and enjoy!
How To Store Homemade Bagels
Because these bagels are made with yogurt, you want to store them in the refrigerator or freezer instead of room temperature. After baking bagels, you can store them the first 5 days in the refrigerator in a plastic bag. Beyond 5 days, I recommend freezing the bagels.
When you are ready to eat the bagels in the freezer, thaw them the night before in the refrigerator then you can eat them out of the refrigerator with your favorite topping, or warm in a microwave or microwave oven.
Substitutions For Greek Yogurt Bagels
Here's the substitutions you could make for these Greek yogurt bagels. Remember when you substitute or change something in a recipe, it will change the nutrition data values you see in the recipe card below.
- Greek Yogurt - You can substitute full fat Greek yogurt for this recipe. Non fat Greek yogurt will work, but I noticed when I used it in the past the consistency of the bagels was not the same. You need some fat to make the recipe! If you are dairy free, you can try a dairy free yogurt like Kite Hill. I have not do it myself, but I'm guessing the consistency should work. It will alter the nutrition quite a bit though as dairy free yogurts tend to be higher in fat content and lower in protein. Siggi's Icelandic, plain yogurt works well for those with dairy sensitivities as well.
- Gluten Free Baking Flour - You can substitute gluten free oat flour or oat flour in this recipe. In the past before I eliminated gluten from my diet, I have made this recipe with whole wheat flour. I have not tested almond flour. The quantity for almond flour would have to be less as it is more dense. Coconut flour will not work.
- Egg White - You can use a whole egg if you prefer or you can use avocado oil instead.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning - The seasoning can be omitted or replaced. Garlic powder, onion powder, garlic salt, sesame seeds, cinnamon, chocolate chips, blueberries etc. would all be great substitutes!
Healthy Greek Yogurt Bagels
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Place parchment paper on a large baking sheet.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the yogurt to the mixture and stir until combined. It should result in crumbles.
- Dust a clean surface with a touch of flour. Remove the flour from the mixing bowl and place on the clean surface to knead until the dough is tacky. Do not over knead. Dough should not stick to your hands.
- Divide the mixture into 4 balls and roll each one out to about 3-4-inches long. Join each end together to form a bagel with a hole in the center.
- Whisk the egg white in a bowl then wash each bagel with it. Top with everything bagel seasoning.
- Bake 25-28 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Remove and cool 15 minutes before enjoying!