Growing up I never was a fan of sloppy joe's. It wasn't until much later in life that I realized it was my dislike for beef rather than my dislike for the recipe. That's why you don't see beef recipes around here because I actually eat everything I cook for this blog!
Crockpot Sloppy Joes were a quick dinner I made a few weeks ago after we got home from San Diego. I wanted something quick and easy that was effortless to make while I caught up on work.
I've also been trying to add more traditional recipes to the blog for my meal plan subscribers. I know many of my subscribers feed large families and there's nothing better than a hearty slow cooker recipe to give you a quick dinner win!
This recipe is made better for you by adding bell peppers (gotta get those veggies in!) and making it lower in sugar! I used dates to sweeten the sauce instead of brown sugar.
The fiber in dates works to slow the blood sugar response and keeps insulin stable so you're not getting those up and down sugar crashes.
I also made this recipe Paleo friendly by using coconut aminos instead of Worcestershire sauce which has sugar as well. A splash of apple cider vinegar for a little gut health and spices of course to give the sauce a mild kick.
Toss it all in your slow cooker, set it to cook and come home to a ready made family dinner! For gluten-free, serve on a gluten-free bun and for Paleo serve over a low carb veggie substitute. Now let's get cooking!
Crockpot Sloppy Joes
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey or lean beef
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 dates soaked in 1/4 cup warm water 5 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- After 15 minutes, add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir again and cover. Turn the slow cooker down to a low setting. Cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Serve immediately on a gluten free bun or for a Paleo version serve with cooked zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.