Start your day with Healthy Carrot Apple Flax Muffins! Made with lighter and nutritious ingredients these portable snacks are bursting with flavor. A gluten free, low calorie breakfast or snack for spring! Gluten Free + Low Calorie
It should be mandated that Easter fall in April. It doesn’t make sense to me when it falls in March. March is for St. Patrick’s Day, April is for Easter and everyone needs to stop doing daylight savings like Arizona. Mmk? It would certainly make life a lot easier. Who’s on board?
On the bright side, Easter weekend gave me an excuse to kick back a little weekend. Friday night I went out with a friend, worked out on Saturday, planted my herb garden then made these Carrot Apple Flax muffins amongst other goodies.
Other than that, I was not super productive which tends to be a problem when Monday rolls around and I’m shocked back to life. Yes, we all need down time but sometimes dealing with the aftermath makes it not worth doing.
For me, this also leads to a lot of guilt. I always think I should be doing XYZ or something. I will never understand why it’s so hard to put yourself first and everything else next. It seems like it should be a lot easier to live in that order. I wish I could magically whisk away that guilt. At least I can drown my guilt in my muffins.
Muffins always make Monday better, right? I like to call Monday “muffin Monday” because the on Monday you get to feast in all the muffins from the weekend’s baking extravaganza. Because yesterday was Easter, it was only appropriate to make a healthy carrot laced muffin with the leftover carrots I had from that raw carrot cake and Paleo carrot cake cookies.
For these muffins, I did a spin on a traditional morning glory muffin but much lighter and healthier. They’re lightly sweetened with cinnamon, applesauce, apples and a bit of coconut sugar, and incredibly dense from the flaxseed which is my favorite thing to put in everything these days. They make a delicious and healthy, portable snack. And I could not be more in L-O-V-E with these Carrot Apple Flax Muffins. Cheers to muffin Monday!
P.S. I HIGHLY recommend added a scoop of collagen to these goodies. Collagen improves skin, hair and joints. Very important as we age, and something I recommend to all my 1:1 clients.
Receive a Sugar Free Meal Plan
When you join the Skinny Fitalicious Email List
Carrot Apple Flax Muffins
- Preheat oven 375 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners or spray with non stick cooking spray.
- In a food processor, add the carrots and apples. Pulse a few times until shredded. Set aside.
- In a standing mixer or using a hand mixer, add egg whites, olive oil, applesauce and cinnamon. Mix until eggs become frothy.
- Add sugar, baking powder and flaxseed and mix to combine. Then slowly add flour to the mixture while mixing on low.
- Fold in the apples and shredded carrots into the batter.
- Spoon batter into muffin cavities 1/2 full. Bake at 375 F 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick can be removed clean. Remove from the oven and cool muffins on a rack another 10 minutes.
- Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container up to one week.
Custom Meal Plans
Work with Megan to develop a custom macro or standard meal plan to reach your goals.